Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

FireEye Email Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

FireEye Email Security is #14 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. PeerSpot users give FireEye Email Security an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. FireEye Email Security is most commonly compared to Cisco Secure Email: FireEye Email Security vs Cisco Secure Email. FireEye Email Security is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.

Download the Email Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is FireEye Email Security?

FireEye Email Security delivers dynamic defense to detect attacks from the very first time they're seen and blocks the most dangerous cyber threats including malware-laden attachments and URLs, credential phishing sites and business email compromise attacks. Email-borne cyber attacks are targeted, automated and hidden amongst millions of messages, easily morphing before signatures can be created.

FireEye Email Security Customers

Northshore Utility District, Luz Technologies, Air Academy Federal Credit Union, Bank Gutmann, Bank of Thailand, Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, State of Missouri, City and County of San Francisco, Denver Public Schools, Vodafone, Go Auto, Stater Bros. Market

FireEye Email Security Video

FireEye Email Security Pricing Advice

What users are saying about FireEye Email Security pricing:
  • "The licensing is on a yearly basis."
  • "The solution requires a license to be purchased for every user."
  • FireEye Email Security Reviews

Information Security Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
    Easy to set up with good stability and great anti-spam features
    • "The product helps reduce the number of malicious emails reaching the user's inbox."
    • "The solution needs better support."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for email security. We target spam emails. We want to block spam email and all other malicious items, such as spoof emails like business email, and SPF and DMARC checks - those kinds of filtering. We can also do email attachment filtering, and check malicious URLs within the email body. Those we usually are able to stop.

What is most valuable?

The anti-spam features are the most useful features. With this product, they won't fill the user's inbox, even if it is not malicious. Users won't be getting that many unwanted emails.

The product helps reduce the number of malicious emails reaching the user's inbox.

The solution scales well.

The product is quite stable.

The solution is pretty much an out-of-the-box product.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The customization could be stronger. It's not that easy to adjust items.

The solution needs better support.

Adding new items or features to their product should be faster. They plan to add items, however, it will take sometimes years or months to implement them into their product. For example, SAML integration. I've been hearing about it for more than three years and I haven't seen it yet done.

The licensing is pricey.

I've been using the solution for more than eight years at this point. It's been a while.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Trellix, Cisco, Microsoft and others in Email Security. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is good.

The scalability of the product is excellent. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have about 1,000 or more users on the product currently.

We're not really that satisfied with technical support. They are too slow to respond. We'd like them to be better. It takes too much time to get the help you need when you need it.

This issue may be that they don't have support services that are global. When you look at Cisco, for example, they are very fast as they provide service from all around the globe. It depends on the time. If you are raising a ticket at night, then wherever it is in the daytime, they will start working on it. You don't get that from FireEye, which likely makes them slower in their response time.

I've used, for example, Cisco Endpoint, and I find them better in the sense that they are more customizable. In comparison, FireEye is not flexible. That said, Cisco does not stop all of the phishing items.

The initial setup is very simple with FireEye. That's another advantage. It's like installing a TV. You just connect it, switch it on, and it's done. However, if you get into customization, that's not easy. It's complicated and sometimes we cannot achieve what we are trying to do.

Sometimes the initial setup can take two or three weeks, however, if it's not too complex, we can do it in a day.

You only really need one person for deployment and maintenance.

We deployed the solution with the assistance of a consultant.

The cost of a license is very high. It's an expensive solution.

We pay for the solution on a yearly basis.

We did not really evaluate any other options before choosing this product. We usually go through the Gartner report, and whatever there is in the top list we will pick that.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

We've been on the cloud only for three years and the rest of the time, it's been on-premise.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight on a scale from one to ten. We've largely been very happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the product due to the fact that it can stop most of the phishing and malicious items from getting through our email. It keeps us very safe.

Senior Security Engineer at a agriculture with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Great features with almost zero false positives and reasonable pricing
    • "The initial setup is simple."
    • "Sometimes especially zero-day spam emails can be passed to the user's inbox."

What is most valuable?

The solution offers almost every feature that customers need in one solution. For example, spam filtering, antivirus, et cetera.

There are almost zero false positives. One of my biggest customers said that after they had used the solution for almost one year or one and a half years, we didn't release any email regarding any false positive feedback. Other products, most of the time create false post followups or blocks some emails that shouldn't be blocked, et cetera. Here, there are almost zero false post rates.

There is a marketing engine on the product coming from FireEye. It's a completely in-house solution on the vendor side. That's why hackers or attackers can't resolve or can't understand the sandbox as easily as other sandbox solutions. It has very advanced features for catching malware, advanced attacks, ATPs, et cetera. It can also be very helpful for the customers.

The initial setup is simple.

I've been using the solution for three years. I'm using it almost every day.

The solution is extremely stable. There are almost zero stability problems on the product side. I'd rate it five out of five.

The product is scaling for the inbox and I'm working with more than 1000 inboxes or less than 100 inboxes on the field on the customer side, depending on the client. I didn't see any problem with scaling. It's just licensing. On the technical side, we don't do anything for scaling the product.

I am the technical support point of contact.

The initial setup is actually easy. I'm usually working also on the on-prem sites for email solutions, however, on the cloud side, you are just setting the solution within the cloud provider of the local email server and that's it. You are just forwarding to DNS to the FireEye cloud and everything is good after that.

I'd rate the solution five out of five in terms of the installation. It's the easiest product to install from the email side.

I don't have any information about the cost - that's the sales team. That said, it's my understanding that the company has competitive pricing options against other vendors. It was not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are reseller partners.

You can't install the software to do a private cloud. It's a public cloud solution.

I'd rate the product eight out of ten.

September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    System Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Offers accessibility to control the solution anywhere from the cloud
    • "We can control this solution from the cloud and are able to access it from wherever we are."
    • "The custom tailoring is limited."

What is our primary use case?

We get inbound emails via MS 365. It directs those emails to our ETP product, the cloud product. Then messages that it's been analyzed as clean and will be sent back to MS 365 for us to receive. Right now we are using the solution for EPT analysis purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Our business is based on our customer client sites. We can control this solution from the cloud and are able to access it from wherever we are.

What is most valuable?

The accessibility is one of the features that I love. We can control it from the cloud and we can access it from anywhere. We don’t spend a lot of time in the office as our business is based on our customer client sites. If we find something quarantined, mis-quarantined, or something to investigate regarding the emails, we could perform any type of action from wherever we are.

What needs improvement?

I do some configurations on the backend. The cloud product is not open to the customers. If the system itself could be more open to the customer, I'd be able to configure it more specifically. The custom tailoring is limited.

Not only for the FireEye product, but whether it's Forcepoint, or Cisco, etc., language support for the Korean language is needed, for console pages or everything to be translated. Everything is in English and Korean customers face a hardship with it.

I've been using FireEye for two full years. We use FireEye Network Security, Endpoint Security, and Email Security. With FireEye Email Security, for testing purposes, we use EX, the hardware appliance. For our company email, we are subscribed to the ETP, the EX cloud product.

I do. We didn't face much impact on our business. I'm satisfied with our deployment of FireEye right now.

I have direct contact with the support at FireEye.com. It's been helpful and responsive with my cases.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The licensing is on a yearly basis; it's on subscription right now.

Compared to our domestic products in Korea, it's quite costly. International wise, it is worth the amount.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale one to ten, I give the solution a nine. The minus one is because it lacks custom tailoring.

Owner at Jolly Security Inc
    Malware security exceptional, great complementary solution, and support knowledgeable
    • "FireEye is good for malware depicting and security."
    • "If they want to be the primary or best solution, they need to have better email management features."

What is our primary use case?

I used the solution as a secondary security assessment gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

Is an excellent secondary checkpoint for malware and other threats.

What is most valuable?

It is one of the greatest solutions to have or to complement any other security solution such as Proofpoint or IronPort. FireEye is good for malware depicting and security.

What needs improvement?

If they want to be as primary or best solution, they need to have better email management features. SMTP handling is sometimes poor because you do not have a lot of options for routing. For example, if you are using IronPort and FireEye, and you want to do some complex routing and features, IronPort will beat FireEye with no effort.

The email gateway environment does its work as long as it is not too complex or sophisticated you will notice some decrease in performance.

I have been using the solution for ten years.

In general, technical support is good, they are usually knowledgeable. There are certain areas that you might want to have the premium support which cost extra. However, the basic operation of the product, you have all that need with regular support. They can be reached by email, phone, and some other methods.

I have previously used IronPort and Proofpoint. There was always a certain point while operating where you had to wait a while, you have a much stricter set of rules for filtering email, and there were more false positives. FireEye has good potential to detect security breaches.

No, I have always used Fireeye email as a secondary solution combined with one of the lead ESA.

What other advice do I have?

If you really need something powerful to handle multiple routes and delivery points then this solution might not be for you. You should consider this solution as not the main email gateway but an addition to your protection. It is not a product for handling email in big volumes or as your principal, the main solution is. It is a very good security solution component that is advisable to be a compliment for something that is stronger on the email handling side.

I rate FireEye Email Security an eight out of ten.

Deputy Technical Manager (SOC Operations) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The auto-remediation, Riskware rules features are valuable, but spam detection could be better
    • "The auto-remediation feature is valuable."
    • "The spam detection feature could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I use FireEye Email Security to block spam and advanced threats.

How has it helped my organization?

FireEye ETP has blocked several campaigns that lead to the post compromise deployment of ransomware, Obfuscated Outlook Phishing impersonation, Attachment based Phishing

What is most valuable?

The auto-remediation feature is valuable and Riskware rules is also helpful.

What needs improvement?

The spam detection feature could be better. As users, we don't have any control. It detects and blocks spam based on spam engine conditions. But many emails that shouldn't be blocked are getting blocked this way, and we have to raise a ticket for the False Negative cases and it takes time to get resolved.

Every time we raise ticket, support requests received original email sample all the time to resolve the cases which is not possible to provide all the time.

I have been using FireEye Email Security for nearly three years.

FireEye Email Security is a stable solution.

We are using FireEye Email Security as a SaaS solution, so we haven't had any issues with scalability.

Technical support is okay. Some issues are resolved quickly. Other issues take more time.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It's easy to set up FireEye Email Security and usually takes us about three to four hours to test and deploy.

We first evaluated Symantec Email Security and then tried FireEye Email Security. During the evaluation of Symantec, we had some issues with the implementation. Spam detection also had some difficulty. FireEye had sufficient support during the implementation, so we went with them.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give FireEye Email Security a Nine.

Private Cloud
    Senior Infrastructure Engineer at Compare The Market
    It has a broad range of riskware rules you can deploy
    • "I like FireEye's filtering, spam digests, and its advanced threat review of email flow. It also has a broad range of riskware rules you can deploy."
    • "FireEye needs single sign-on. They say it's on their roadmap. They should also implement support for Microsoft Authenticator app for 2FA."

What is most valuable?

I like FireEye's filtering, spam digests, and its advanced threat review of email flow. It also has a broad range of riskware rules you can deploy.

What needs improvement?

FireEye needs single sign-on. They say it's on their roadmap. They should also implement support for Microsoft Authenticator app for 2FA.

We've been using FireEye for about three and a half months.

FireEye is 100% stable so far.

FireEye is deployed on the public cloud, so I expect it would scale to meet demand. The licensing is based on the number of user mailboxes, and we've  purchased it for a particular number, so I would assume its scale is appropriate.

I've contacted FireEye support several times. They're pretty solid. I am happy with their response so far.

I worked with McAfee Email Gateway before it reached the end of support. Aside from that, I mostly used Exchange Online Protection. FireEye has more features than Exchange Online Protection, but you have to pay for it on top of your Office 365 licensing.

Setting up FireEye is straightforward. That's one of the things I like about it, actually. It is easy to use and install.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FireEye eight out of 10. It seems like a good product, but nothing's perfect.

Sr Manager - Information Security & Researcher at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to use, well-integrated, and responsive technical support
    • "What I find most valuable with the solution is that it can integrate with cloud solutions, such as Google and Microsoft. Additionally, the solution is easy to use."
    • "I would like the solution to be able to automatically quarantine the malicious emails before getting to the user's mailbox and continue with regular email operations. This could result in the user clicking the email before the purge operation is completed."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is for detecting malicious URLs which has been delivered through email. We either block or remove the destructive emails.

What is most valuable?

What I find most valuable with the solution is that it can integrate with cloud solutions, such as Google and Microsoft. Additionally, the solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like the solution to be able to automatically quarantine the malicious emails before getting to the user's mailbox and continue with regular email operations. This could result in the user clicking the email before the purge operation is completed.

As an additional feature, I hope for more interactive emails.

I have been using FireEye Email Security for approximately four years.

I find the solution stable.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 4000 people using the solution in our organization.

The technical support is very responsive and fast. They send an email on the same day of the call.

The solution requires configuration, without deployment.

The solution requires a license to be purchased for every user.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the solution.

I rate FireEye Email Security an eight out of ten.

Cyber security architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Beneficial results, helpful support, and good integration

What is our primary use case?

We are using FireEye Email Security on-premise. however, we plan to move to the cloud. We're testing this new concept called security service edge(SSE) and we are looking to integrations with FireEye Email Security.

We use FireEye Email Security for our security. For example, protecting against malware and viruses. It is an important piece of software for our environment here.

What is most valuable?

We have had very good results from the use of FireEye Email Security. We are very comfortable with this technology, but I don't know if it's necessary to move into the cloud, we will check other technologies and study them. Additionally, the solution has good integration.

I have been using FireEye Email Security for approximately six years.

FireEye Email Security is a stable solution.

The solution is scalable. However, there are limitations.

The technical support is good, they have been helpful.

The solution is not easy to set up. However, we have employees that have the knowledge that can do the difficult implementation. It would be better if the process was easier.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others because it is a good technology.

I rate FireEye Email Security a ten out of ten.

Download our free Email Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Trellix, Cisco, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: September 2022