Anderson Rodriguez - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 201-500 employees
The single-pane-of-glass management is a time and resource saver
  • "It provides single-pane-of-glass management, which is pretty easy and straightforward. Because we manage multiple access tiers, it allows us to essentially manage everything from one viewpoint and not have many viewpoints for the same product. This is important because it is a time and resource saver. It also saves us money."
  • "For the back-end, there could be a few more security features applied."

What is our primary use case?

Essentially, we use it as a two-factor authentication for our users when they are trying to log into the corporate network or another dev network that we have.

How has it helped my organization?

Overall, it provides functionality and security with the two-factor authentication. We can ensure whomever is logging in isn't someone else who might be sharing a username or password.

It is a good source of security as far as ensuring that there are no rogue agents attempting to access the network. Duo has enabled us to mitigate rogue access requests to our network.

With everything that went on over the past three years, we can authenticate through the VPN, or anywhere that you are at, giving our workers the ability to work hybridly and tackle day-to-day jobs without having to come into the office.

Our workers know what they are doing is secure. They don't have to worry about buying other equipment and we don't have to worry about supplying other equipment. We can just use Duo to facilitate, making it easier to do their day-to-day jobs.

What is most valuable?

The ability to work online and offline with two-factor authentication is the best feature. Usually, with products, you have two different tokens. For this product, there is just one.

It is a good product to assess the access. Overall, it has a timely response as far as when you need to click. It is very interactive. It is not like you have three seconds, then it is gone. It gives you the time to do it.

It provides single-pane-of-glass management, which is pretty easy and straightforward. Because we manage multiple access tiers, it allows us to essentially manage everything from one viewpoint and not have many viewpoints for the same product. This is important because it is a time and resource saver. It also saves us money.

The single-pane-of-glass management user experience is pretty good. It is one of the best ones that I have worked with so far.

What needs improvement?

The biggest challenge is integrating it into all our end user utilities. We use it for other networks, not just our personal network. So, the challenge is just integrating it across the board.

There is not much improvement as far as the front-facing part of it. For the back-end, there could be a few more security features applied. Obviously, as they grow, it will get better.

Duo Security
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Duo Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using it for about seven months.

The stability works well with what we have, and we have a big Cisco infrastructure. It is pretty seamless for us.

Maintaining network connectivity with Duo is pretty easy. The timeout isn't too bad. It obviously depends on your security thresholds, but it is pretty easy.

It is pretty scalable. We have run it through its paces.

I haven't had to work with their technical support division. I am guessing it is good since I haven't had to deal too much with them.

This is the first time that I have worked in a VPN environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it about a nine out of 10 because nothing is perfect.

Private Cloud
Hugo De Vries - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-Owner at Turner & de Vries
I put in my credentials and hit go, then I get an alert on my Apple watch to approve
  • "Duo offers dual-factor authentication for our logins. I put in my credentials and hit go. Then I get an alert on my Apple watch, and I approve it. That part is just phenomenal."
  • "Duo has some issues that we're trying to work through. For example, if I install it on a WordPress site and another admin needs to log in, they can't because Duo hasn't been set up for them. It doesn't appear that I can add permissions on a user-by-user basis. It's not obvious."

What is our primary use case?

Our web developers use Duo Security as a WordPress plugin to provide security for our websites.

What is most valuable?

Duo offers dual-factor authentication for our logins. I put in my credentials and hit go. Then I get an alert on my Apple watch, and I approve it. That part is just phenomenal.

What needs improvement?

Duo has some issues that we're trying to work through. For example, if I install it on a WordPress site and another admin needs to log in, they can't because Duo hasn't been set up for them. It doesn't appear that I can add permissions on a user-by-user basis. It's not obvious.

I would also like to see password-free login. There used to be a password-free product where you used your phone and looked at the screen. I can't remember what it's called now, but it was great. It used blue wavy lines that constantly changed, so nobody could ever screen capture and use them to log in. That was by far the best solution.

Duo bought them out and did away with them. They probably saw it as a threat because it was a better solution. And a couple of companies have tried to mimic that, but they have never come close. If Duo were to go back to something like that, I would be ecstatic. Passwords are supposed to be a thing of the past.

I've used Duo Security for about two years.

Duo Security is stable.

I don't know how Duo would scale. If I've got a hundred websites and I install it on several of them, scalability just means adding it to a new website. It would be as easy as adding it to the first.

That's not an issue, but I  still haven't figured out how to add new users to a site that already has it installed. I checked their online documentation and haven't found an answer yet,  so we temporarily took it off on that particular site.

We tried several authentication solutions before, but I liked the way Duo works better.

I rate Duo Security eight out of 10 for ease of deployment. It takes a minute or two to download and install the plugin.

Duo Security is free.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Duo Security nine out of 10. Duo is a solid solution, but it still has some minor issues with adding users.

Duo Security
November 2022
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Derek Mikel - PeerSpot reviewer
Network engineer 2 at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Cloud based security solution that offers end to end MFA functionality and is reliable and stable
  • "Duo has allowed us to add an additional layer of security to our organization and to establish trust for every access request and secures our environment."
  • "We have a 24 hour timer for our Duo cookie and we would like to reduce this to a shorter time when using Duo."

What is our primary use case?

Duo specifically offers good MFA functionality. We needed support for our VPN and used GlobalProtect as well as Duo for additional security.

How has it helped my organization?

Duo has allowed us to add an additional layer of security to our organization. It prevents people from gaining access unless they have your credentials as well as a device. It has allowed us to establish trust for every access request and secures our environment. We are confident and comfortable with the way the solution handles this. We have tried other solutions but they've not met our expectations.

Duo Security does a good job of helping to support our organization across a distributed network. It does a fantastic job at securing access to applications and networks. It is streamlined and straightforward.

Duo Security provides single-pane-of-glass management.

What is most valuable?

This solution has been most valuable for locking up our VPN solution and providing secure web protection.

What needs improvement?

We have a 24 hour timer for our Duo cookie and we would like to reduce this to a shorter time when using Duo. We use Duo together with GlobalProtect and I am not sure which solution would be responsible for this improvement.

I have been using Duo Security for the entire time I've been employed at my company.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. We have 20,000 users covered by this solution.

We have not needed much help from the Duo support team. Using this solution has been surprisingly easy for us.

We were running a different solution on a test gateway we had and it didn't meet our expectations so we moved to Duo. We have previously tested XAML.

You pay per user when using this solution and the pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

We have never had an issue in maintaining network connectivity across all workplaces. Duo Security has helped remediate threats more quickly and offers security end to end. Cybersecurity resilience is probably one of the most significant elements of organization because we work in the healthcare industry.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten. This is because we have not had any vulnerability that has been exposed to or any other issues that we've had to deal with.

Kennedy Kariuki - PeerSpot reviewer
Vendor Business Manager EMEA at Westcon-Comstor
Beneficial viability, good authentication, and reliable
  • "The most valuable features of Duo Security are visibility and OTP authentication. The OTP is very important because it is a self-enrollment feature, you are able to enroll users very quickly with a shorter time period."
  • "Duo Security could improve by being more compatible with other vendors."

What is our primary use case?

Duo Security is multi-factor authentication, specifically a two-factor authentication. It authenticates users so that you can know they're legitimate in the network. It can be used for mobile banking. For example, when you're doing mobile or internet banking with your phone, when it uses OTP, it is using Duo Security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Duo Security are visibility and OTP authentication. The OTP is very important because it is a self-enrollment feature, you are able to enroll users very quickly with a shorter time period.

What needs improvement?

Duo Security could improve by being more compatible with other vendors.

I have been using Duo Security for many years.

The solution is highly reliable.

Duo Security is sized per user. You can even have Duo Security for five users or 3,000 users. It depends on the size of the organization.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is of a very high level. If you have a problem they will be able to support you. They are able to log in remotely as an engineer to give assistance. If you have the upgraded license then the support is even better and they will do everything for you if you have a problem. The support is extremely good.

The installation is very easy to do for Duo Security and it can be done with one person in one hour.

We have one person for maintenance of the solution and they do not need a lot of training to be able to do it. There is a manual that can be followed.

The licensing is very good because it does not cost a lot of money. It's affordable for all-sized customers, including enterprises. There is an additional cost for premium support.

The license can be purchased monthly, quarterly, half-year, or annual.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I have seen it being used in large banks and there has never been a complaint about them. It is a very good solution.

I rate Duo Security an eight out of ten.

Yassia Savadogo - PeerSpot reviewer
Cybersec Consultant at Freelance
The best solution that meets our security needs and is very stable, scalable, and easy to use
  • "It meets our security needs very well. It is easy to use, and documentation is also available. It is also very stable and scalable, and its support is also very good. We are satisfied with this solution."
  • "Its documentation must be in French because we are a French-speaking country. They should also provide more training documentation. Its management interface should also be improved. They should also improve its update period. If I compare its update period with other products such as Palo Alto firewalls, this solution is really slow in updates."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for perimeter protection.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it to protect the DMZ servers of our organization. It protects our DMZ servers from malware and web attacks.

What is most valuable?

It meets our security needs very well. It is easy to use, and documentation is also available.

It is also very stable and scalable, and its support is also very good. We are satisfied with this solution.

What needs improvement?

Its documentation must be in French because we are a French-speaking country. They should also provide more training documentation.

Its management interface should also be improved. They should also improve its update period. If I compare its update period with other products such as Palo Alto firewalls, this solution is really slow in updates.

I have been using this solution since October 2019.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. In my company, I have between 90 to 100 users. We also have some users who are working at another site.

We have plans to increase its usage, but due to COVID, we're mostly working remotely.

Their technical support is very good. They are very reactive. The last issue for which I contacted them was related to an OS update.

We have used Check Point and Palo Alto solutions previously.

It is very easy for me. I work with a lot of solutions like this. Its deployment took two weeks.

Its price is reasonable. It is not highly expensive.

We evaluated lots of options from different vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Duo Security is the best solution for the cybersecurity challenges that we are facing nowadays.

I would rate Duo Security a ten out of ten.

Bernard Komdeur - PeerSpot reviewer
Helping Clients Succeed at It-visibility
A secure solution to protect a database
  • "The two-factor login is great. I receive a message and just have to press okay."

What is our primary use case?

We use Duo Security to access databases, which are in the cloud. It's two-factor authentication mostly.

What is most valuable?

The two-factor login is great. I receive a message and just have to press okay. And then I am in. Also, the connection is very fast.

What needs improvement?

I haven't experienced any issues with Duo Security, but I'm only on the front end, I don't see the back end. I don't know what the IT guys are struggling with. From the front end, it's very fast and it hasn't missed a beat, so to say. As soon as I log in, within a second, I receive a message on my mobile, and as soon as I hit okay, that is within a second, then it's already passed on to the database where I need to be. It's lightning-fast, I've never experienced anything like it in the past.

I have had experience with Duo Security for roughly six months.

Duo Security is very stable.

I have not needed to call technical support relating to Duo Security; however, the guys from Cisco are very supportive, but that also has a lot to do with my relationship with Cisco. I've known most of the support guys since the late '90s. If I have an issue, they respond to my requests within five minutes.

For me, the initial setup was very simple. All I had to do was download an app, log in, and that was it.

I was not involved in licensing negotiations, so I can't speak on this matter.

What other advice do I have?

As a user, I would give Duo Security a rating of nine out of ten.

Download our free Duo Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022