Dundas BI OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dundas BI is the #3 ranked solution in top Embedded BI Tools and #7 ranked solution in top Data Visualization tools. PeerSpot users give Dundas BI an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Dundas BI is most commonly compared to Tableau: Dundas BI vs Tableau. Dundas BI is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Dundas BI Buyer's Guide

Download the Dundas BI Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Dundas BI?

Dundas BI is a powerful, flexible, end-to-end business intelligence platform that simplifies the entire analytics process and empowers its users to analyze and visualize data. The solution enables organizations to create and view interactive dashboards, reports, scorecards, and more. Dundas BI can be integrated into an existing website as part of a custom BI solution or it can be deployed as the central data portal for your organization. The solution is suitable for mid-to-large sized companies.

Dundas BI Features

Dundas BI has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Mobile responsive dashboards
  • Smart data display
  • Calendar support for retail and manufacturing
  • Data connectivity
  • Show/hide interaction
  • Batching data builds
  • Enhanced development workflow
  • Navigation support
  • Data regulation support
  • Optimized application performance
  • Instant application portability with docker
  • Easy SaaS support with Kubernetes
  • Natural language user input
  • Enhanced application security
  • Scheduled reports with multiple export options
  • Fully open APIs

Dundas BI Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Dundas BI. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Limitless customization: You can fully customize the Dundas BI platform, including its dashboards, data visualizations, interactions, scorecards, labels, etc. to meet your organization’s unique design requirements.
  • Effectively visualize and analyze data: The solution provides interactive data views that help you create pixel-perfect dashboards and reports that have interactive data visualizations so you can elevate your users’ abilities to effectively communicate data insights and drive faster decision-making.
  • Greater efficiency: Dundas BI can consolidate and store data from any source, providing seamless data delivery and a consistent user experience, which leads to greater efficiency. By having all your business intelligence, reporting, and data analytics needs in one single platform, you also save your organization a lot of time and effort.
  • Tailored data discovery process: Dundas BI adapts to all user types, allowing everyone to personalize it to suit their own needs and requirements, which helps users, data analysts, and developers to analyze their data quickly. The solution’s data discovery process also allows you to run ad-hoc queries, perform visual data analytics, and quickly create relevant and actionable content.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Dundas BI solution.

A Business Intelligence Consultant at Siemens Industry says, “The flexibility of the dashboard designer is great. You can control every single pixel and no matter what the user asks for we can deliver. It has a lot of out-of-the-box options that you can use to customize your dashboard. There is also the option to use their JavaScript API, however, in 99% of the cases, the built-in options are more than enough. I also love the control you have on what queries Dundas BI is generating against our databases. This allows us to create really fast dashboards even when running against millions of records.”

James D., System Architect at Yulista, LLC mentions that the most valuable aspect of the solution is its “ability to warehouse query results. This is good because you do not have to have a data warehouse, you let Dundas warehouse the results of a query that runs long during off hours.”

Another reviewer shares, “The built-in ETL functionality has allowed us to combine data sources without the need for a full SSIS package. This saves time and allows for a quicker time to market.”

Dundas BI Customers

Coca Cola, Siemens, Verizon, Microsoft, Pitney Bowes, Scotiabank, Pepperidge Farm, Shutterstock, Norwegian Government, Boeing, Guess Inc., BP, Bayer

Dundas BI Video

Archived Dundas BI Reviews (more than two years old)

I like the data cubes, security, and the high level of customization in visualizations that are available right out of the box

What is our primary use case?

Creating dashboards to make data available to internal and external customers. We maintain dev and production environments so that we have a place to work and test products before pushing to production.

How has it helped my organization?

We have greatly improved accessibility and visibility into our data and reduced the number of manually created reports and one-off data pull requests.

What is most valuable?

Data cubes, security, and the high level of customization in visualizations that are available right out of the box without being a software developer.

What needs improvement?

I have no complaints. They work fast and have major releases on a predictable schedule.  Customer service has been exceptional, and they have worked with us as partners to solve bugs that have been discovered.

Dundas BI
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Dundas BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Three to five years.

No, this was our organization's first BI product.

Yes, Tableau, PowerBI.

Allows easy multitenancy across our different customers but has a steep learning curve

What is our primary use case?

• Providing template BI reports for our customers with their databases
  • Creating different dashboards and PDF exports as well as Excel data dumps where needed.

How has it helped my organization?

Allows easy multitenancy across our different customers. Makes it easy for them to just log in and go.

What needs improvement?

Matrix tables. Add them in !!! Currently, they don't do that, and it's hard to create some BI reports due to this.

Pretty average, buggy here and there.

Good.

Pretty decent but the timezone difference can be annoying as they are in Canada and us in NZ.

Yes, Power BI. Lack of multitenancy support and too simple.

It was OK, big process.

Pretty much in-house.

It's hard to measure.

It's too different to tell.

Yeah, a few, but none really had the multitenancy setup.

What other advice do I have?

Great software, it has a steep learning curve compared to the rest but so much more powerful because of it.

Dundas BI
November 2022
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Dashboard Implementation Consultant with 11-50 employees
The built-in UI allows you to do most of the work by drag and drop

What is our primary use case?

Creating market research focused dashboards for our clients to log in and view and explore the results.

How has it helped my organization?

It enabled us to create customised dashboards, catering to any data requirement, and any visualisation or interactivity requested by the clients.

What is most valuable?

Scripting engine enables you to do anything, and the built-in UI allows you to do most of the work by "drag and drop" or by other options for the less technical people.

What needs improvement?

More of the same! They still need to add some visualisations and could continue to improve the UI to allow users to easily find what they need within the many different options.

Three to five years.

They are brilliant! They will get back to you within a few hours usually and have a custom solution for your particular issue or requirement.

Setup is very simple via the installer which walks you through all the dependencies that need to be installed.

Setup and licensing are reasonably priced. Users have two options, either you pay for a named seat, or you can have floating seats that can be shared amongst users. We found that the per-user cost was the biggest expense that we had by far.

We evaluated many options including DecisionPoint, Tableau, QlikView, Birst.

it_user814431 - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant, Solutions Business Unit at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helped us transform our clients' businesses to become data-driven
  • "The Layers feature organizes my work and makes it easier, instead of having to use scripting to show and hide when drilling down."
  • "I would love to see more functions built in inside the application, instead of being scripted. They already did some of that in the new release, version 5, like forecasting, trend lines, etc., and I would love to see more of these kinds of calculations, which we used to do it by scripts before."

How has it helped my organization?

As we are working as "digital transformakers," this product helped us to transform our clients' businesses to be data-driven, and added business value.

What is most valuable?

For me it is the Layers feature. It organizes my work and makes it easier, instead of having to use scripting to show and hide when drilling down.

What needs improvement?

I would love to see more functions built in inside the application, instead of being scripted. They already did some of that in the new release, version 5, like forecasting, trend  lines, etc., and I would love to see more of these kinds of calculations, which we used to do it by scripts before.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Professional.

I used both Tableau and Dundas BI. For me, Dundas BI is more flexible and has more features to achieve whatever we are looking for.

Straightforward.

Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

A very powerful product which will enhance and add value to your business.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners to the owners of this product.
it_user219567 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Business Intelligence Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Easy to design a new dashboard and can always see data while you setup the data controls

What is most valuable?

It is easy to design a new dashboard. You can always see data while you setup the data controls.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very quick to develop new reports.

What needs improvement?

Export to PowerPoint is really poor.

Your changes are not always saved, which can be very frustrating.

We have used Dundas BI since it was launched (a couple of years), before that we used Dundas Dashboard.

You can see/feel that the product isn’t mature yet. It has some stability issues.

The support answers very fast. Unfortunately, there is only support from Canada, and with the time difference of 6 hours from my location, it can be difficult to arrange online support.

Microsoft Reporting Services.

It was straightforward and upgrades are also straightforward.

Buy what you need now. It is easier to upgrade with more licenses.

No, I just wanted something better than Microsoft Reporting Services.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it. It is quite easy.

Senior Business Intelligence Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Produces nice visuals and allows you to build your own ETL

What is most valuable?

1. The product has very nice visuals.
  2. It allows you to build your own ETL.
  3. It allows different storage types of data cubes (on disk, cache, or in memory).
  4. Customization using JavaScript.

How has it helped my organization?

I work as freelancer for different organizations, on request. The clients choose the product and contact me afterwards, so I cannot help with an answer to this question.

What needs improvement?

For a developer, it is really annoying that the Solution Explorer is not visible unless you have something checked out. You have a home screen which shows all objects but it's difficult to identify which is which and you end up checking out the wrong object.

Another place where things can be improved is to identify what Metric Sets are used by the dashboard. You end up with auto-generated Metric Sets and there are no properties provided for them (i.e. what the base Metric Set is).

Six months, non-intensive.

I don't have enough experience to comment on this.

I don't have enough experience to comment on this.

I would give it a nine out of 10. Their support is very good and responsive.

I have worked with Dundas Dashboard. However, that is no longer supported by Dundas due to the fact that it's on Silverlight. They advise moving to DBI as it's HTML 5. Another good reason for the switch is that DD did not have its own ETL. Also visuals were improved in DBI.

My understanding is that the installation of DBI is straightforward but I don't have experience with it.

I cannot answer as I am not the one to handle this.

The customer is the one choosing the product.

What other advice do I have?

You can create very nice dashboards without JavaScript as well, but knowledge of JavaScript will boost the outcome.

Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
End to end enterprise solution - one portal to connect to data, ETL and visualize data.

What is most valuable?

End to end enterprise solution where there is only one portal to connect to data, ETL and visualize data with flexible and interactive way with the ability for users to do their self service analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

All of our sales and marketing activities are being visualized and analyzed using Dundas BI.

What needs improvement?

Out of box connection to web services to read its data.

Almost 2 years.

No at all, very easy tool regarding of installation and maintenance.

Nope.

Nope.

Perfect.

SAP and we left it due to the high cost.

Straightforward.

In-house.

20 months.

Dundas BI has reasonable pricing compared to other competitors and the license schema is simple and clear.

Yes, iDashboard and Microsoft Power BI.

it_user326337 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user326337Customer Success Manager at PeerSpot

Can you list specific difficulties you've had with web connection and reading data?

it_user363234 - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Partner at PBS
It has ETL, reporting and dashboarding on one platform.

Valuable Features

Dundas BI is an end-to-end solution. It has ETL, reporting and dashboarding capabilities on one platform. It can manage all ETL procedures on its own. It not only reduces the budget of the project, but it also is easy to collect data from different sources.

Improvements to My Organization

N/A. We are consultants.

Room for Improvement

This product needs incremental in-memory data loading. (We have heard that this is to be included in the new version, 3.0.)

Use of Solution

We have known about Dundas BI for three years. We have been a partner with them for a year. We successfully completed three projects with Dundas BI.

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues. It is quite easy to install, configure and deploy.

Their costumer service and technical support are great. First of all, they have free training lessons on YouTube. They also have huge community, including many experts. They are always very helpful.

Initial setup was quite easy. It takes a maximum 45 minutes to install the product, configure the product and start to work with your own data.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

You don’t have to spend lots of money to have a BI system.

We usually position this product to companies that need an end-to-end BI solution. It also has a rental price model. So, companies that are looking for an entry-level BI can fully leverage their investment.
And they have a great OEM model for software houses.

It is suitable for large install base.

Other Advice

Common people can use this product. Their interface is so user-friendly. You don’t need to know BI procedures to create your own reports. If data is available, you can change it as you wish with drag and drop only.

Our rating reflects this product’s facility of implementation, its price per capability, its flexibility, and the quality of its visualisations.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are their partners.
Manager, Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to provide more rich and interactive data visualizations for end users.

Valuable Features:

User Interface, Sharepoint Integration, Drag and Drop, and Scripting.

Improvements to My Organization:

Currently Dundas BI enables us to provide more rich and interactive data visualizations for end users and this has helped to show performance issues.

Room for Improvement:

Some wonky web-based issues but nothing serious.

Energy Efficiency Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ability to draw data from numerous different types of data and combine them all into coherent data cubes and dashboards is valuable.

What is most valuable?

The ability to draw data from numerous different types of data (SQL Server, SAP NetWeaver BW, Oracle, Excel, etc) and combine them all into coherent data cubes and dashboards.

How has it helped my organization?

The simplicity involved in generating dashboards has dramatically increased the number of dashboards we can get into the hands of users each month.  Using easy drag and drop functionality, fast data discovery, and powerful dashboard tools is allowing us to quickly give the staff, managers, and decision makers the information they need to make informed decisions.

What needs improvement?

As with any software there are features that are not operating as expected or that could be improved.  For our organization the pieces of Dundas BI that need improvement are as follows:

1) It is currently not possible to connect a data cube built in the BI system to another data cube built in the BI system;

2) The system does not support two year Fiscal Year notation (ie. FY 20-15-2016 can only be recorded as either FY 2015 or FY 2016);

3) On some of the user interfaces, such as the "join" interface, it is not possible to cancel out of the screen without making any changes.

We have been using Dundas BI since April of 2016.  Prior to that we were using Dundas Dashboard.

No issues were encountered during deployment.  The first deployment took a bit longer due to the number of pre-requisites that needed to be setup on the server.  Our next two deployments (TEST and PROD) took less than half an hour to achieve.

In the five years we have been working with Dundas using first Dundas Dashboards and now Dundas BI their customer service has always been some of the best I have ever experienced.  They are responsive, courteous, and genuinely interested in helping us find solutions.

We used Dundas Dashboards prior to switching to Dundas BI.  We switched because the Dundas BI does not require the use of Silverlight, has a smoother and simpler data discovery model, and has a slicker interface for creating dashboards quickly.

We implemented through an in-house team.

Summer Job
Parameter options allow lots of freedom for data analysis.

What is most valuable?

Cool drill down features along with many parameter options that allow lots of freedom for data analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

Based on gathering data, it has improved the speed of how users can obtain the data.

About 2 months

Some minor technicalities that typically end up getting solved by the awesome support team.

9/10

9/10

No previous solution was in place.

Senior Programmer-Analyst at a tech services company
I appreciate the version control and the ability to roll backward and forward on a dashboard.

What is most valuable?

Version control and the ability to roll backward and forward on a dashboard.

Ability to drag and drop an Excel file onto the page and have it create a data source from which to visualize.

How has it helped my organization?

Everyone now has he ability to see how we are doing in improving the health of our patients.

What needs improvement?

Not much. Documentation improvements or additions to help with the learning curve when starting with BI, but once you get in the groove it is fantastic and makes me highly productive and provides my customers with beautiful data visualizations without very much effort on my part.

One year with BI and about three years with Dundas' previous offering Dundas Dashboard.

Not yet.

Fantastic!

Very good.

Dundas Dashboard and we switched because Silverlight was a dead product walking and BI was available and awesome.

Self implement. Easy install. Had experience with Dundas Dashboard but in reality that may have contributed to my learning curve problems as I had to unlearn some concepts

Hard to quantity but it is certainly worth the investment.

A few other vendors whose names I have forgotten.

Manager - Business Intelligence & Data Architecture at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
I like the ability to have multiple dashboard on one canvas and switch between them.

What is most valuable?

Tile Navigation. Drag and Drop data sources. Data cubes, the ability to combine sharepoint list data with SQl without creating a complicated ETL. Layers, the ability to have multiple dashboard on one canvas and switch between them. Interactions, open up Outlook, navigate to URL with parameters

How has it helped my organization?

Improved process efficiency.

What needs improvement?

The addition of funnel charts to the visualization options would be great. We have not been able to default a data grid to be collapsed by groups. This would be a big help for some dashboards requiring lots of details on the screen

We used Dundas Dashboard for 3 or 4 years. Dundas BI has been used for 1 year.

No, installation and deployment was simple.

No stability issues. During the upgrade process the application server needs to be be rebooted, but otherwise very stable.

No, scalability was one of the reasons we like Dundas.

Customer service is excellent.

Excellent technical support.

Before Dundas, our company used Excel spreadsheets.

Very straightforward initial setup.

In house implementation.

Determine the amount of standard and power users you will have. The pricing is very different for both.

ZenDesk, SSRS, Tableau, QlikView.

What other advice do I have?

Overall Dundas BI has been great. Between the ease of creating dashboards and the quick response from support for technical questions. I would recommend Dundas all day long.

Ariel Pohoryles - PeerSpot reviewer
Ariel PohorylesDirector of Product Marketing at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees

Thanks for the review. Please note you can actually create funnel charts without an extension using the steps under: http://www.dundas.com/support/support-center/support-articles/data-visualizations/creating-a-funnel-chart

Senior BI developer and consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
With Data Cubes, you can define your data workflow with the help of diagrams.

Valuable Features:

An excellent IDE, that makes building views, like reports and dashboards a breeze. Excellent data visualizations objects and components, each of them customizable enough!

Data cubes are the heart of the tool, you can define your data workflow very easy with the help of diagrams! This is where your ETL is done and you can do it with the diagram help or, for SQL addicts, which by the way I am:), write you own sql scripts.

Improvements to My Organization:

I work in a Portuguese company specialized in software solutions for Portuguese Local Governments. Dundas Dashboard and now Dundas BI helped us to conquish an important slice on the BI market for Government solutions!

Room for Improvement:

A few more different data visualizations wouldn't hurt. But I've just read from Dundas that version 3.0 will have some good surprises in that matter!