IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is #11 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is most commonly compared to VMware SRM: Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines vs VMware SRM. Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.

Download the Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines?

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines enables quick recovery of VMware virtual machines and allows you to efficiently test, manage and orchestrate operational backup and disaster recovery operations.

With tight integration with VMware, RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is storage and application agnostic, with built-in automation accessible via VMware vSphere web client plug-in.

When cloud becomes a vital part of your disaster recovery strategy, RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is also web-enabled, providing efficient replication to AWS and VMware Cloud on AWS.

RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is available as part of Dell Data Protection Suite.

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Customers

Rushmore Electric Power Cooperative, PCS Publishing, Noble Foods

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Video

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines pricing:
  • "Pricing-wise, it is pretty much fair for any customer who only has a VMware environment. Licensing is based on the number of VMs that you want to protect at any given point in time. Licensing is not based on size."
  • "This is an expensive product."
  • "It was a part of a backup solution. So, it was free for us."
  • "There is a license required for this solution and the pricing depends on how many virtual machines you have."
  • Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Reviews

BI Project Manager/ Scrum Master at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Tightly integrated with VMware and easy to set up, but needs integration with more hypervisors and databases
    • "Continuous replication with lower RTO and RPO is the most innovative feature. Its tight integration with VMware for VMware VMs is also valuable."
    • "It can have better integration. It would be good if, in addition to VMware VM, it can also support other hypervisors. I also want to see support for Oracle databases. As of now, it supports only SQL and Exchange. It would be good to also support other databases."

What is our primary use case?

We used it for disaster recovery as well as migration. It had on-premises as well as hybrid deployments.

What is most valuable?

Continuous replication with lower RTO and RPO is the most innovative feature. Its tight integration with VMware for VMware VMs is also valuable.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with this solution for five years.
    Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, VMware, Zerto and others in Disaster Recovery (DR) Software. Updated: June 2022.
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It does have bugs, but they are not major. There are some data unavailability situations.

It can scale pretty much fine. It does have its own limitations, but I don't think any customer will reach that limit.

Their L1 support is not so good as of now. They have recently outsourced to a company, and they are not doing good. L2 and L3 support are good.

The setup is pretty straightforward, and there is no difficulty in setting it up. It is fairly simple. If everything is good, deployment doesn't take more than three hours for both sites.

Pricing-wise, it is pretty much fair for any customer who only has a VMware environment. Licensing is based on the number of VMs that you want to protect at any given point in time. Licensing is not based on size.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Zerto over RecoverPoint. I believe Zerto is a pretty good product for VMs as compared to RecoverPoint. Zerto has file-level recovery, and it supports multiple applications and databases, not only VMs. There are many other things that Zerto can protect. RecoverPoint is for those customers who are looking only for VMware-centric solution, and their environments are only on VMware. I would rate RecoverPoint a seven out of ten.
    Wessel Vermeulen - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Technical Specialist at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Stable and straightforward to install, and offers point-in-time recovery
    • "It is a point-in-time restore, which is quite handy."
    • "I would like to have the HTML 5 interface working because it is currently not functioning with the VMware environment."

What is our primary use case?

I use RecoverPoint for VMs to for critical backups.

What is most valuable?

It is a point-in-time restore, which is quite handy.

What needs improvement?

The price of this product could be lower.

I would like to have the HTML 5 interface working because it is currently not functioning with the VMware environment. This means that you have to use the old UIs to work with it.

We have been working with RecoverPoint for the past six months.

This is a stable product.

The way I use it, we haven't had to scale. However, it shouldn't be a problem.

Prior to RecoverPoint, we used VMware's replication functionality. We also have Veeam Backup and Replication deployed in the environment.

All of these products do the same thing and it's just a matter of what features you like. I use RecoverPoint for VM for my production-critical system because it gives you general electives for the journals and the point-in-time recovery.

For less critical backups, I used VMware or Veeam.

The initial setup was straightforward.

This is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product is working well but at the same time, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
    June 2022
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Systems Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Point-in-time recovery is useful, but it should have a GUI option for recovering a group of virtual machines

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for DR Security.

What is most valuable?

Point-in-time recovery and ease of deployment are valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability and integration with VMware cloud foundation should be improved.

It should have features for recovering a group of virtual machines and full-scale security. For recovering all the VMs at once, they don't have a GUI option, and we have to use the command line.

I have been using this solution for more than one year.

It is stable.

Its scalability can be better.

We have good support, but we have been having issues with the product. We've been trying to work on them with the help of their support.

It was straightforward, but we had issues after the setup. So, we are working with their support to resolve these issues.

It was a part of a backup solution. So, it was free for us.

We checked out Commvault and Zerto.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of 10.

Anteneh Asnake - PeerSpot reviewer
    Modern Data Center and Cloud Engineer II at IE Network Solutions PLC
    MSP
    Stable, good technical support, and easy installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines primarily for data replication from one location to another.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more easier to use. However, once you have used it for a while it becomes easier. Additionally, there could be better support and compatibility with management by having a command-line interface. This would be beneficial for the customers.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable but the performance could improve.

We have two customers using this solution.

The technical is very good but sometimes it takes them a while to come back with a solution to our issue.

The installation is straightforward if the version you have is compatible with your infrastructure.

One person can do the whole implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines a nine out of ten.

Download our free Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, VMware, Zerto, and more!
    Updated: June 2022