We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Richard Chennault
Senior Director with 10,001+ employees
A good solution for infrastructure, but not for application-level monitoring
  • "Datadog's ability to group and visualize the servers and the data makes it relatively easy for the root cause analysis."
  • "Datadog lacks a deeper application-level insight. Their competitors had eclipsed them in offering ET functionality that was important to us. That's why we stopped using it and switched to New Relic. Datadog's price is also high."

What is our primary use case?

We used Datadog to capture the salvatory of our AWS fleet of around 1,200 servers.

What needs improvement?

Datadog's price is also high.

I have been using Datadog for about three years.

Stability really wasn't ever an issue. We didn't have any outages specific to Datadog where we couldn't get reports or insights to information. We were more concerned about the stability of our own systems and applications.

There was no issue with scaling as such. It didn't scale well only from the cost perspective.

Fortunately, because of the stability of the solution, we never had reasons to deal with technical support. Most of our interaction was with their product management, which was focused on the feature capability and ultimately pricing.

It didn't scale well from the cost perspective. We had a custom package deal.

We switched from Datadog to New Relic because it offered ET functionality. Datadog was traditionally born out of monitoring infrastructure. Over the years, they have improved their ability to give you insights at the application layer and to be considered under APM. New Relic really started at the application layer and has worked its way down.

Ultimately, we were able to accept New Relic because coming from an operations team, infrastructure was more important. As our application became more complex, our application developers needed better insight. Because there is a significant overlap in the Venn diagram between Datadog and New Relic, we felt that the needs of the infrastructure team and the applications team could be met with New Relic and its expansion in providing a sort of lightweight security.

What other advice do I have?

Datadog started off at the infrastructure level, and New Relic started off at the application level. Both of them were expanding not only into each other's space but also into the SIM space.

There are a lot of options out there. For folks like me, it becomes a costly proposition because, at the end of the day, we're talking about logs, events that get pushed out. I have to push out some to Datadog and some to the security event manager. Then you start to think why can't you just push them to one place and let a product do that. That's where these products are trying to grow. They're not quite there yet because the SIM space is pretty mature. An enterprise like ours needs something fully focused and dedicated. Startups can live with New Relic that has a security capability or Datadog.

I would advise you to really understand the value that you're trying to go after. Make sure that you're not trying to solve all problems that you have from the observability perspective with Datadog because that will erode the value you get out of this solution.

Make sure that you are going to use Datadog for infrastructure, and it is going to be great. If you start adding other kinds of stuff to it, you'll probably start losing some of that value. Especially, if you want to go for application-level monitoring, you may be a bit disappointed.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten. I'm a very price-conscious kind of purchaser.

reviewer1486134
Infrastructure Engineer at DataCamp
Easy to set up, supported with good documentation, and the single pane of glass improves efficiency
  • "The fact that everything is under a single pane of glass is really valuable, as developers don't have to spend their time copying correlation IDs across tools to find what they need."
  • "The incident management beta looks promising, but it is still missing the ability to automatically create incidents based on certain alerts."

What is our primary use case?

We use Datadog as a monitoring platform to achieve visibility into our container environments.

Almost all of our workloads are containerized and with DataDog, we are able to get metrics, logs, alerts, and events about all the containers that we are running. Our developers also extensively use APM to find and diagnose performance issues that might appear.

We use Terraform to automatically create all of the necessary monitors and dashboards that our developers need to make sure that our level of service is sufficient.

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented Datadog around the same time as the company was growing from 30 to 150 people. Before that, we didn't have a standard stack for monitoring. Each team used their own logging solutions, metrics were missing or non-existent, and it was impossible to correlates metrics collected by different teams. DataDog provided us with an out-of-the-box solution that allowed us to focus on putting in place practices and processes around monitoring, rather than focus on implementation details.

Every squad is now confident in their ability to quickly identify and diagnose issues when they arise.

What is most valuable?

Thanks to the unified tagging system, it's really easy to jump around the different Datadog products without losing the context. That makes debugging really easy for developers because they can go from APM to logs to metrics in a few clicks.

Watchdog is also a great feature that helped us identify overlooked issues more than once.

What needs improvement?

SLOs are also a great way to visualize how you are doing with regard to the level of service that you are providing but it missing crucial components like:

• The ability to visualize the remaining error budget and how it evolved during the month. An error budget burndown graph would be helpful.
  • The ability to display a different level of alert on an SLO based on how fast it is consuming the error budget. This is the slow burn versus fast burn.

We've been using Datadog for a bit more than two years.

There is extensive documentation and the support is very reactive.

Prior to using Datadog, each team was using their own solutions. This included a mix of custom tooling, third-party tools, and AWS tools.

The initial setup is very easy.

Learn what your peers think about Datadog. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Cloud Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Straightforward to integrate and automate; excellent technical support
  • "Straightforward to integrate and automate."
  • "Could be a little more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior cloud security engineer and we are customers of Datadog.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the public cloud provider integration of AWS, I would say it's very easy and straightforward to integrate. We can automate that way as well, because it also provides the cloud formation template and is a way to have a central place to monitor and visualize metrics in a multi-account structure. It's something we really need because the company has many AWS accounts. Rather than jumping from one account to another, Datadog gives us the functionality of having everything on one platform, in one place.

What needs improvement?

I believe there is room for improvement with this solution. It wasn't easy for me to get a quick understanding of what this tool offers us as opposed to the added tools of AWS. By that, I mean in regards to finding a better way to apply some filters or to create some alarms. I don't get more advanced features in comparison to AWS but at least I get a centralized way of doing things, which can be done on the AWS side as well. It's more complicated because you have to configure some other services to stream their logs from multi accounts to one account. It could be more user friendly and include advanced examples in the documentation showing some use cases or customer case studies, so you can get a clear idea that this functionality provides something extra.

I've been using this solution for about a month.

This is a stable solution.

It's an SaaS solution, so it should be scalable although I don't know the architecture of it.

We have support from a technical engineer during the POC, which is still ongoing. It's amazing. Their customization and support during the POC include weekly meetings, with a follow up of any issues through email and Slack.

The initial setup in regards to integration with AWS was very simple.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution even though I don't have much experience with it yet. The company is currently using New Relic and we are now investigating Datadog for two reasons; the cost and also the integration with microservices and Kubernetes. I feel like this is a good solution.

There is some room for improvement, so I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Pablo Albornoz
Co-Founder at Exeo IT
Easy to use with good stability and very good monitoring capabilities
  • "We find they have a very helpful alert system."
  • "It would be ideal if the product offered a bit more monitoring from our dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

We're in the process of doing a Proof of Concept with the solution right now.

What is most valuable?

One of the solution's greatest aspects is its overall simplicity. It is very easy to use. It's easier to handle than other brands we have access to.

The monitoring capabilities that the solution provides are very good.

We find they have a very helpful alert system.

The product has been very stable. We've liked the performance provided.

The initial setup is simple and easy to handle. It's not hard at all.

The experience we've had with technical support has been very positive so far. They are helpful.

The integration capabilities have been pretty good overall. We have no complaints.

What needs improvement?

We haven't used the solution too much yet to assess what features it is missing or would improve. The support in Latin American is a point that would mark as a point to improve

The stability of the solution is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable in terms of performance.

Technical support has been helpful overall. They are knowledgeable and responsive. We are quite satisfied with the level of service they provide to our company.

We are actually still using actually Elasticsearch and Kibana, however, we prefer to use Datadog due to the fact that it is very simple. We really enjoy how it operates

We found the initial setup to not be overly complex. It's rather straightforward and easy to execute. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

I'm not sure if the license is expensive or cheap. It's managed by the customer and we've recently come on board.

What other advice do I have?

I am an end-user and customer. I don't have any business relationship with the product itself. We work with clients on the infrastructure and IT developer infrastructure mostly. We work with a variety of solutions, including Dynatrace, Datadog, Elasticsearch, etcetera.

In general, due to its simplicity and ease of use, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very satisfied with the solution overall.

Project Director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Valuable logs, pretty stable, and provides a single tool for architecture and infrastructure
  • "Its logs are most valuable."
  • "Its pricing model can be improved. Its settings should be improved for a better understanding of billing. They should also provide some alerts when there is an increase in the usage. For example, if there is 20% more increase from one week to another, the customer should get an alert."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our infrastructure network and servers.

How has it helped my organization?

From our customer's and our perspective, it has not brought much change in terms of the process. Datadog did not change anything about the process. It only provided a single tool instead of having to use multiple tools.

What is most valuable?

Its logs are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing model can be improved. Its settings should be improved for a better understanding of billing. They should also provide some alerts when there is an increase in usage. For example, if there is a 20% more increase from one week to another, the customer should get an alert.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is pretty stable.

The perimeter in which we worked was not big enough to get any information about scalability.

Their technical support is fine.

One of our customers was using another solution. They switched because of the scalability of the perimeter. Their previous solutions were limited in terms of the kind of servers and virtual machines. They had multiple tools, and Datadog provided them a single tool for architecture and infrastructure.

Its initial setup is complex.

We installed it ourselves.

I am not satisfied with its licensing. Its payment is based on the exported data, and there was an explosion of the data for three or four weeks. My customer was not alerted, and there was no way for them to see that there has been an explosion of data. They got a big invoice for one or two months. The pricing model of Datadog is based on the data. The customer was quite surprised about not being alerted about this explosion of data. They should provide some kind of alert when there is an increase in usage.

We evaluated various in-house and external options.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to take a step-by-step approach rather than a from-zero-to-everything approach.

I would rate Datadog an eight out of ten.

Performance Testing Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has good troubleshooting and instrumentation features
  • "The solution is sufficiently stable."
  • "The setup was a bit complex."

What is our primary use case?

I'm not sure which version we're using, although I believe it to be the latest.

We essentially use the solution in advance of performance testing, performance monitoring, and troubleshooting.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution affords us many uses when it comes to troubleshooting and application. Should we encounter issues while troubleshooting under load, we can take advantage of Datadog usage metrics to see which method or area is having difficulty, in order that we may resolve the issue.

What is most valuable?

The solution has valuable troubleshooting and instrumentation features.

What needs improvement?

The setup was a bit complex.

As Datadog is a bit on the expensive side, I would recommend it for simple, uncomplicated, solutions.

I have been using Datadog for nearly four or five years.

The solution is sufficiently stable.

As our company does not have many users who are making use of the solution at present, I have not encountered issues with its scalability.

I do not have plans to increase the usage at the moment.

I cannot comment on tech support, as I have not made use of them, although my team members have. It seems okay.

We mainly work with Datadog, although with Dynatrace, as well.

The initial setup was a bit complex.

We hired a separate team to handle the implementation.

At present, not much staff is needed for the deployment and maintenance.

I am not in much of a position to address the question of return on investment, although I believe it is for the better that my organization employs the solution.

I do not have knowledge of the licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

We are just the users of the solution. There are not many of us in our company.

The solution is good for complex integations which have lots of downstream and involve multiple combined systems. This is where it is useful.

I rate Datadog as a nine out of ten.

Attila Mate Kovacs
Senior Cyber Security Expert at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to setup, stable, scalable, and has 24/7 technical support
  • "Because of our client focus, it is easy for us to sell. This is because it is easy to use and easy to set up."
  • "While I like the ease of use, when compared with Tenable Nessus they could still improve their usability."

What is our primary use case?

We implement these solutions for our clients. We have implemented Datadog as an SIEM solution.

What is most valuable?

Because of our client focus, it is easy for us to sell. This is because it is easy to use and easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

While I like the ease of use, when compared with Tenable Nessus they could still improve their usability. They are okay, but there is room to be better.

They could have more integration.

They could be more intuitive as well. For example, the intuitivity of the user interfaces, and how long it takes for users to learn how to use Datadog.

It is not impossible to use, or impossible to do the administration with it but when you put these two next to each other, meaning Nessus and Datadog, Nessus comes out as the winner.

I have been using Datadog for two years.

We are not using the latest version, we have missed at least one update.

We have no issues with the stability of Datadog.

Datadog is a scalable product.

We have two customers who are using this solution.

Technical support runs 24/7. The technical support is absolutely fine.

We are also using Nessus. My experience using Tenable Nessus is better.

It is easier to install than to use it.

I was not the one doing the handling the installation. I'm a senior consultant, and I was coordinating, planning, and interacting with clients. But the actual installation, I was not involved with.

The installation could be done in an hour or so.

It is not complex, two professionals are enough to complete the installation and maintenance of Datadog.

With Datadog, it's a monthly fee. They prefer monthly subscriptions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for medium enterprises with 100 to 1,000 employees.

Small business is too small for the way that Datadog operates. It is not the best for very large enterprises for a company with more than 1,000 employees.

I would rate DataDog an eight out of ten.

LeonardoAlonso
Associate Founder at KerBBo Consulting
User friendly interface and integrations make it best in class
  • "The interface and the integrations make it so easy to connect to the cloud or to the on-premise environment."
  • "Datadog does not have the feature where you can monitor external websites or check the SSL secure for websites."

What is most valuable?

I like Datadog because it is so easy use, I can easily connect to public clouds, and I have a view of observability. In my opinion it's the best tool in the market.

I like the interface so much. The interface and the integrations make it so easy to connect to the cloud or to the on-premise environment. It has so many monitors for alerting. I like all the versions and especially the APM model, on which I did a lot more testing with my applications. I have made applications for testing the tool that is in the resource. The APM is the goal for me in the Datadog.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, Datadog does not have the feature where you can monitor external websites or check the SSL secure for websites.

I have been using Datadog for the last 14 days.

In terms of stability, I don't have any problem with its stability or the website data. They have a solid infrastructure. I don't have any problems with that.

It was simple to configure and to set up this tool.

I have less experience with Zabbix than I have with Datadog, but I don't see Zabbix as a great tool for cloud specific monitoring because I cannot connect so easily to public clouds to gain all the information that I can in Datadog, which I can easily set up.

I have used Zabbix for 20 days for my personal tests and I really don't like it.

There is something that I liked with Zabbix, though. Zabbix is better for monitoring virtual machines. That's a feature that I liked. But everything else is awful. I can't have dashboards. I do not have integrations with some ITSM systems, like Jira or OTRS. It's awful because I need to have those integrations.

I would rate Zabbix a nine from one to ten for on premises environments. For cloud platforms, I rate this tool as a five, because of the complexity required to integrate it in other platforms.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Datadog a nine, just because of the missing feature of checking websites.