We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Allan Kirszberg
Coordenador Financeiro at Icatu
Good technical support, but is difficult to set up and integrate
  • "The technical support is good."
  • "The initial setup is difficult."

What is our primary use case?

I believe we are using the new version.

Our company makes comprehensive use of the solution to consolidate data and do a certain amount of reporting and analytics. All the data consumers use Databricks to develop the information.

What needs improvement?

Data governance should be addressed. We have some trouble connecting all the governance solutions with Databricks. This means the integrative capabilities are problematic.

The initial setup is difficult.

We have been using Databricks for a year-and-a-half.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is good.

As we are talking about a corporate solution, the deployment of Databricks lasted longer than the one day it took for Alteryx.

We used Alteryx prior to Databricks and continue to do so, it being the only other solution we have employed. We use the two with different software.

The initial setup is difficult.

While I don't know exactly how long the deployment took, I do know that it lasted longer than the one day needed for Alteryx.

I believe we used a partner for the deployment, although I cannot say for certain, as this is not within my purview.

I don't know how many people are needed for maintenance and deployment.

As the licensing is not within my purview, I am not in a position to comment on this.

What other advice do I have?

My company makes use of the solution. It is employed by my data team and the technology one. I do not have personal experience using the solution.

The solution is deployed on base, on data.

I am not aware of how many people make use of it.

I rate Databricks as a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
Associate Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Efficient, high data volume processing, and easy to use
  • "The main features of the solution are efficiency."
  • "There should be better integration with other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to process data, for example, data validation.

What is most valuable?

The main features of the solution are efficiency.

We were trying to process 300 million records over 10 years. If you are processing that high number of records through the ADF pipeline with, for example, Azure, it took approximately six hours. In order to reduce the burden on our ADF pipeline, we wrote a simple code in this solution where we can read and write to the file into the temporary Storage Explorer. By going through this solution, we were able to complete the processing of the data in half an hour.

The technology that allows us to write scripts within the solution is extremely beneficial. If I was, for example, able to script in SQL, R, Scala, Apache Spark, or Python, I would be able to use my knowledge to make a script in this solution. It is very user-friendly and you can also process the records and validation point of view.

The ability to migrate from one environment to another is useful.

What needs improvement?

There should be better integration with other platforms.

I have been using this solution for two years.

I have approximately 20 users using this solution in my organization. We have plans to increase our usage in the future.

There is no installation required. It is easy to use, for example, in Azure it is available, you subscribe, and use it.

The solution uses a pay-per-use model with an annual subscription fee or package. Typically this solution is used on a cloud platform, such as Azure or AWS, but more people are choosing Azure because the price is more reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Databricks a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Databricks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Data Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A reliable solution for processing and transforming data
  • "The fast data loading process and data storage capabilities are great."
  • "There are no direct connectors — they are very limited."

What is our primary use case?

We specialize in project consulting for our clients. Whenever we get the opportunity, we recommend Databricks to them.

What is most valuable?

The fast data loading process and data storage capabilities are great.

Based on the data loads and the performance, you can easily scale up the clusters.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we experience issues connecting our database to Databricks. There are no direct connectors — they are very limited. This should be addressed and corrected in the next release.

Reading past data can also be tricky as there is no data spectrum like you would find with Snowflake and other solutions.

We have been using Databricks for one and a half years.

Both the scalability and the stability of Databricks is good.

Technical support is good but I have not interacted with them directly. We have a point of contact. We used to interact with tech support on a regular basis and they would respond quickly. We would get a response on the same day based on the priority level. Keep in mind, my company is in a partnership with them which could be a factor in their quick response time.

The initial setup was not very complex. We had it up and running in no time; it's a quick process.

We have just one solution architect and one data architect who handle all maintenance-related issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend purchasing a package that includes technical support. Compared to other companies, they offer great support to their clients.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Databricks a rating of eight.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Data Science Lead at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
Scalable and reliable, with helpful support
  • "It can send out large data amounts."
  • "It's not easy to use, and they need a better UI."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to build skill and text classification models.

What is most valuable?

The scalability brings value to this solution.

It can send out large data amounts.

What needs improvement?

The user experience can be improved.

It's not easy to use, and they need a better UI.

I have been dealing with Databricks for more than five years.

We used this solution last five months ago and used the most current version during that time.

This solution is quite stable. We have not had any issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution. Very few people are using this solution in our organization. Most don't have the skill.

We were using the free version which did not have a lot of support.

We didn't really need support at the time. I had one conversation with them and they were very nice. They were helpful.

We are using Dataiku for one project and also SageMaker. We have some issues with scalability using SageMaker, which is why we may be going back to Databricks.

SageMaker is a very specific AI tool.

The initial setup was okay.

There are many different versions.

We used the trial version, which was free.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a lot of data, Databricks is a good choice.

With the migration of Microsoft and Databricks, they make it easy. It's the direction to go in.

It's a very good tool. I would rate Databricks a nine out of ten.

Machine Learning Engineer at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
Highly scalable, stable and good technical support
  • "Databricks is a scalable solution. It is the largest advantage of the solution."
  • "The interface of Databricks could be easier to use when compared to other solutions. It is not easy for non-data scientists. The user interface is important before we had to write code manually and as solutions move to "No code AI" it is critical that the interface is very good."

What is our primary use case?

We were using Databricks to build an AI solution. We are only evaluating it, we have approximately three people that tried it out. Later we choose another solution, we did not fully deploy Databricks.

How has it helped my organization?

Before I used Databricks it took me a long time to do some functions and now with Databricks I can do them much quicker. It scales very well.

What needs improvement?

The interface of Databricks could be easier to use when compared to other solutions. It is not easy for non-data scientists. The user interface is important before we had to write code manually and as solutions move to "No code AI" it is critical that the interface is very good.

I have used Databricks within the last 12 months.

The solution is stable.

Databricks is a scalable solution. It is the largest advantage of the solution.

We have been in contact with the technical support of Databricks, they were good.

We have used a lot of different solutions, such as Watson and DataIQ.

The initial setup is easy. However, I do not know much about the implementation because the company does it.

We did the implementation of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

If companies want scalability, they should choose Databricks.

I rate Databricks a nine out of ten.

Advanced Analytics Lead at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Better tailored code and automation capabilities needed, but easy to use
  • "The solution is easy to use and has a quick start-up time due to being on the cloud."
  • "The solution could improve by providing better automation capabilities. For example, working together with more of a DevOps approach, such as continuous integration."

What is our primary use case?

Databricks can be used for large-scale data pre-processing and data transformations.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and has a quick start-up time due to being on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing better automation capabilities. For example, working together with more of a DevOps approach, such as continuous integration. There is a lot of code from places, such as GitHub, but it is not tailored for Databricks. It requires a lot of effort to bring the code to a level where it can be used with Databricks capabilities.

I have been using Databricks for two months.

Databricks is scalable.

We did not have a need to use technical support.

The installation is straightforward, and it took approximately one hour.

We did the implementation and maintenance of the solution ourselves using approximately three engineers.

The solution requires a subscription.

We are evaluating other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for those wanting to process large data sets, but if it is to be used for smaller data sets, I would not recommend it.

I rate Databricks a five out of ten.

Owen BEILLEVERT
IT Manager: User Support at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Great technology that helps us decrease costs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to decrease costs and prevent any security press on data. I'm an IT manager and we are customers of Databricks.

What is most valuable?

I think what I value is more about the technology itself because you don't need to have too much knowledge to be able to use the solution.

What needs improvement?

I think we are using a lot of people to manage this solution. I'd like to see the people using this solution sharing their knowledge.

We've been using this solution for around two years.

The stability is okay now although a month after the data load there was a limitation for the first time on the project. That sorted itself out.  …

What needs improvement?

We've been using this solution for around two years.

It's a scalable solution.

We have a good connection with technical support.

What other advice do I have?

I think the point is that because we'll be working collaboratively in the future, internally and externally, we should compare experiences and exchange knowledge.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Facilitates robust solutions through collaboration but non-SQL users may struggle

What is most valuable?

I like the ability to use workspaces with other colleagues because you can work together even without seeing the other team's job. So you can create a robust solution by working together with other professionals.

What needs improvement?

One area for improvement would be that anyone who doesn't know SQL may find the product difficult to work with. It would also be useful to have a remote support team inside Databricks, which would collect and analyze user feedback.

I have been using Databricks since 2018.

I had a little trouble with customer support but this was solved.

The initial setup was a little complex because it was a new architecture…

What needs improvement?

I have been using Databricks since 2018.

I had a little trouble with customer support but this was solved.

The initial setup was a little complex because it was a new architecture for the customer, so there was nothing to compare it to in order to accelerate the project. This meant the deployment of the first project using Databricks took almost nine months and the second took almost a year.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Databricks Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.