Lead Network Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and scalable with very responsive technical support
  • "It's got the capabilities of amassing a lot of throughput with remote access and VPNs."
  • "They need a VTI. I know it's going to be available in the next software version, which is the 6.7 version. However, the problem with that is that the 6.7 is going to deprecate all the older IKEv1 deployment tunnels. Therefore, the problem is that we have a lot of customers which are using older encryptions. If I do that, update it, it's not going to work for me."

What is our primary use case?

The way we've installed Firepower was for the migration process. For example, there was a data center consolidation, and therefore we had to move everything. We offer data center products to our customers across VPN funnels. We had to move away from older ASAs, so it's a lift and shift. We move older ASAs, which were dispersed in many sites, and we consolidated a couple of services in a single site. Firepower was left there in place. I came in and I took over the administration duties, and now I'm trying to put everything together in a way that it makes sense.

With Firepower, they have better hardware. It's fitted for more throughput, more load. I'm trying to centralize service delivery on this high-availability pair and move all the remote access to Firepower. Then, it's all part of a transition process from a hybrid cloud to a full cloud deployment on a cloud provider. It's mostly just a necessary pain, until we move away from our on-prem deployments. Currently, I'm working with Azure, etc. and I try to look at the main design of the whole process, even though it's going to take two years.

COVID has also made everything very, very slow for us as we try to move away from our initial plan.

What is most valuable?

The 2100 models are extremely useful for us.

It's got the capabilities of amassing a lot of throughput with remote access and VPNs.

What needs improvement?

They need a VTI. I know it's going to be available in the next software version, which is the 6.7 version. However, the problem with that is that the 6.7 is going to deprecate all the older IKEv1 deployment tunnels. Therefore, the problem is that we have a lot of customers which are using older encryptions. If I do that, update it, it's not going to work for me.

We've been using the solution for about a year.

Cisco Secure Firewall
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Secure Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is pretty solid in terms of stability, however, I prefer Palo Alto. For the enterprise world, it's better to have Palo Alto. For the service provider field, Firepower is quite well suited, I'd say. That said, Palo Alto, is definitely the enterprise way to go. For a smaller deployment, you can also go with FortiGate. It's simple, however, it works for smaller offices.

The scalability of the product is pretty good. If you need to expand it, you can do so with relative ease.

The technical support is amazing. They do reply quickly, and often within an hour. It's been great. I've worked at Cisco before, however, with the type of contract we are in, I find it super fast right now. We're quite satisfied with the level of support.

I don't have any knowledge as to what the product costs. It's not part of the business I deal with.

Palo Alto, it's my understanding, is a little more expensive, however, it depends on the users and on the design. It always depends on the contract

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

It's a solid, reliable product, however, if it's right for a company depends on the use case and the size of the organization. For a startup, this might not be a suitable option.

Overall, I'd rate this solution nine out of ten. As a comparison, if I was rating Palo Alto, I would give it a ten out of ten.

Senior Engineer at Teracai Corporation
MSP
One box gives us inbound/outbound access, as well as site-to-site and incoming client VPN
  • "It's very scalable. You can go to different models of the ASAs and they scale up to as big as you want to go."
  • "They should work on making it a little more intuitive for users and not quite as complex. Still, it's a good product."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases include inbound access, outbound access, as well as VPN solutions, both site-to-site and for an incoming client. We wanted something that would do all those things at one time, as opposed to having separate boxes.

Our deployment is on-premises. We're looking at going into cloud-based with some of it. Meraki is the cloud-based version of the ASAs.

How has it helped my organization?

If we have a power failure at one building, traffic can be routed to our other building. We also have backup data stores. I live in the Northeast, so in the event of ice storms that cause power outages, it really enables us to keep functioning as a company rather than going dark for the amount of time it takes to get the power back.

What is most valuable?

The GUI makes configuring it much simpler than the command line.

What needs improvement?

They should work on making it a little more intuitive for users and not quite as complex. Still, it's a good product.

I've been using Cisco ASA Firewalls for 15 years.

It's very stable. We've had no hardware issues at all and only very infrequent software configuration issues.

The technical support is very good. Whenever we call up Cisco, we get a rapid response. They help us in troubleshooting issues we have and we implement the solutions and go on.

Positive

For me, there wasn't a previous solution here. I inherited the solution when I came in.

From a security standpoint, the return on investment is hard to quantify. You've stopped something that was going to cost you money, but how do you quantify that? How many times did it stop something from coming in that would have cost you a bunch of money? You don't know.

We've compared it to other solutions, like WatchGuard and other types of firewalls in that same realm. Cisco ASAs are fairly priced and very competitive with them.

Some of the solutions we looked at had different GUI interfaces that might be a little bit easier to get around in, but they might not have had as many features. Cisco had the feature edge.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the features and consider what your migration path may be. Some other vendors offer firewalls with great bells and whistles, but when you look beneath the surface, they don't do exactly what they say. Do your due diligence and make sure you see everything.

In terms of resilience, in general, if we have any box failure, being able to fail over to another box or to fail over to another site helps measurably. Cyber security resilience is important for all organizations. The number of attacks going on just increases every day. There's a cost-benefit to building cyber security resilience. You have to get past that and build as much resiliency as you can. If you worry more about cost than you do about your product or your productivity, something else is going to fail.

Maintenance of the ASA is just the security updates that we watch for and updating the client software.

Cisco Secure Firewall
November 2022
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Samson Belete - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
  • "Since the product is stable, we do not have to spend additional money to buy other firewalls. Once deployed, we can use the product for a long time. Thus, it is cost effective."
  • "The reporting and other features are nice, but there is an issue with applying the configuration. That part needs some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Firepower as a perimeter firewall to protect from the outside network.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using Firepower to protect a number of services.

We are using it in a dynamic environment. This is important for our company's policies. The dynamic policy capabilities enable tight integration with Secure Workload at the application workload level.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the IPS. We also like the AnyConnect feature.

We monitor daily the final inspection activities and intelligence on Firepower. We also send logs from Firepower to our monitoring server, which is a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

Services from the outside, like financial services that are critical, should be protected by the NGFW. There are cyber attacks on these services. Therefore, adding this NGFW in front of those services will reduce our costs for cyber crime.

We started using this next-generation firewall two years ago.

It is stable, but there are issues with the hybrid when you do the activation.

It is scalable. All our users utilize this firewall. We have more than 30,000 users who are end users, admins, and developers.

Cisco technical support team is perfect in their specific area, but they could improve their support for Cisco integration issues between products. I would rate them as eight out of 10.

Positive

We were previously using Cisco ASA for eight years. Now, we are using Firepower NGFW. We hope to continue using this product in the future, as long as there are no discouraging issues.

We are also using Check Point in conjunction with Cisco. We use Checkpoint for our internal networks and Secure Firewall for our outside network.

Installation wasn't that difficult, but there were some challenges on the integration. Sometimes, we face issues from the integration between another Cisco product's API and Firepower NGFW. We just integrated with our existing networks.

The firewall takes no more than two weeks to install. The integration with the API takes about six months.

We implemented ourselves.

Two technical guys deployed it and now maintain it.

If we didn't use this NGFW, our company might have been charged by a number of attackers. Therefore, the firewall reduces our costs and operational expenses by around 40%.

Pricing for Cisco is expensive. There are additional costs for the licensing part, support, and even the hardware part. The device cost is very high. I would be very happy with an improvement on the price.

From the user perspective, the reporting and other features are easy to use and user-friendly, but the Control feature of Firepower needs improvement, especially when comparing Firepower to Check Point NGFW.

What other advice do I have?

For digital banking, this solution's firewalls have greatly improved our economy. Most enterprises in our country are using Cisco products because Cisco has worldwide support and cable devices.

I would rate this solution as eight out of 10.

DonaldFitzai - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at Cluj County Council
I like the ease of administration and the overall speed of processing web traffic
  • "All the rules are secure and we haven't had a significant malware attack in the five years that we've been using ASA Firewall. It has been a tremendous improvement for our network. However, I can't quantify the benefits in monetary terms."
  • "Setting firewall network rules should be more straightforward with a clearer graphical representation. The rule-setting method seems old-fashioned. The firewall and network rules are separate from the Firepower and web access rules."

What is our primary use case?

We use ASA Firewall to protect 250 to 300 devices, including workspaces and servers.

How has it helped my organization?

All the rules are secure and we haven't had a significant malware attack in the five years that we've been using ASA Firewall. It is a tremendous improvement for our network. However, I can't quantify the benefits in monetary terms.

What is most valuable?

I like the ease of administration and the overall speed of processing web traffic. The modules help protect and administer web traffic. ASA Firewall's deep packet inspection gives me visibility regardless of whether I have the agent installed on all the workstations. I can see incoming web traffic and control access to suspicious or dangerous sites. I can apply a filter or make rules to restrict categories of websites.

What needs improvement?

Setting firewall network rules should be more straightforward with a clearer graphical representation. The rule-setting method seems old-fashioned. The firewall and network rules are separate from the Firepower and web access rules. You can access the firewall rules through the Cisco ASDM application, not the web client. I'm using an older version, and I'm sure this issue will improve in the next edition.

Micro-segmentation is somewhat complex. It's not easy, but it's not too difficult, either, so it's somewhere in the middle. I used micro-segmentation for 10 or 15 VLANs, and ASA Firewall acts as a router for those VLANs. The visibility offered by micro-segmentation is pretty poor. It's not deep enough.

I have been using ASA Firewall for five years.

ASA Firewall is a stable solution.

I don't think ASA Firewall is very scalable. It depends on the models and the license. However, it's pretty simple to update and upgrade the models, so I would say it's moderately scalable.

I worked with Cisco's technical support from the beginning and it was excellent. I rate Cisco support 10 out of 10.

Positive

Previously, I used some Linux Servers with a software firewall for 20 years.
It was a Microsoft firewall, but I don't remember the name. It was a server that I had to install on the gateway.

Deploying ASA Firewall was complex because I needed to install an ESXi machine to implement the Firepower module. That was relatively complicated, and it took two or three days to complete the installation and verification.

I worked with a consultant who sold me the product and helped me with minor issues as needed.

In the past, the company experienced multiple ransomware attacks, but we haven't seen any since installing ASA Firewall. It was a huge improvement. It's hard to quantify that in financial terms, but we had 40 or 50 machines damaged.

I'm not sure precisely how much ASA Firewall costs, but I know it's a little more expensive than other solutions. I rate it seven out of ten for affordability.

I learned about Fortinet and Palo Alto firewalls. I think FortiGate is easier to set up and manage. At the same time, Cisco firewalls are pretty secure and reliable. I think the ASA Firewall is in the top five.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco ASA Firewall eight out of ten.

Ramish Ali - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Director IT at Punjab Education Foundation
Scalable and fast but the initial setup could be easier
  • "The product is quite robust and durable."
  • "The graphical interface could be improved. From what I have seen, Fortinet, for example, has a nicer GUI."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall for our data centers. We have a medium-sized data center right now. It's about six or seven servers. We actually store the data for students and schools and need to protect it.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution works very well.

The solution is quite fast. We found that the speed was good and the throughput was good.

The stability has been very good.

The solution can scale as necessary.

The product is quite robust and durable.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks the abilities of an FTD type which are the abilities we need, and they are not in the firewall. We're looking for a next-generation firewall instead.

The solution needs to be easier to use. Right now, it's overly complicated.

The initial setup is a bit complex.

The cost of the solution is very high.

The product should add free URL filtering. It's another product, or part of another product, however, it should be available as part of this offering as well.

I've been using this solution for about seven or eight years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability is excellent and the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product can scale nicely. If a company would like to expand it, it can do so.

We have about 10,000 schools use the solution in general, and 1,000 to 2,000 that use it simultaneously daily.

I don't directly deal with technical support. Typically, that's something that others on the team deal with. We have our own team within the company that, if I run into issues, I would reach out to first. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are. I've never had a chance to contact them.

I have not used other firewalls.

The initial setup is not easy or straightforward. It's a bit complex and a little difficult.

We have three engineers on staff. They are capable of handling any maintenance.

The solution is quite expensive. Fortinet and other competitors are about half the price. Cisco is very expensive in comparison. They need to work to be more competitive.

We're currently looking into a new firewall - something that is Next Generation. We don't know what it will be yet, however, we are considering Cisco, Fortinet, or Palo Alto.

It's my understanding that Fortinet is better in graphics and has a better user experience than Cisco, however, I haven't had a chance to test anything out.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

We no longer have an SLA for this solution. We're potentially looking for something new.

I'd recommend the solution to others. It works well. It's durable and fast and you don't have to check up on it daily as it is rather reliable. That said, it is pricey.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Manuel Briones - PeerSpot reviewer
Voice and data infrastructure specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Stable with great management of dynamic routing and good technical support
  • "The initial setup was not complex."
  • "Cisco is not cheap, however, it is worth investing in these technologies."

What is our primary use case?

One of the things that we have solved the most with this solution is the P2P connection that we have with different clients. It gives us greater connection security with good management of the configured rules.

Likewise, it has made it easier for us to have this type of equipment under monitoring, and, since we have implemented them, we have not been presented with any performance problems in the equipment as they have not presented CPU or RAM saturation or that for some reason it fails without any cause. We all have them managed and monitored. We always receive an email notifying us if there's something that the equipment has detected as well.

How has it helped my organization?

The ASA firewalls have undoubtedly helped us to improve our infrastructure throughout the corporation and currently we have just over 50 firewalls - all of them in different parts of Mexico.

This infrastructure has been improved since, in our corporation, we handle the dynamic EIGRP protocol, which Cisco owns, and this solution has given us a geo-redundancy in our company. In case of presenting a problem with a firewall or a link, it performs an immediate convergence where end-users do not detect a failure, helping us to maintain a 99.99% operational level at all times.

What is most valuable?

I am very happy to use this type of Cisco equipment in my infrastructure. It has given us the most value is the management of dynamic routing, in this case, EIGRP. This protocol, together with a series of additional configurations, has helped us to maintain an automatic redundancy in all our infrastructure, keeping us with very high numbers of operability and without failures that take more than 1 minute or that have not been resolved automatically. With this solution, we only speak with our suppliers either for a link or equipment report, and even if the box or circuit is out of operation, the operation continues to work without problems.

What needs improvement?

Today, ASA firewalls are leaving the market and are being replaced by firepower equipment - a technology with which I am not very familiar. However, in the training or research, I have done on this new product, I see that it has many additional tools such as centralization of the administration through a single team (in the case the firepower management). It is something that we do not have, yet we are already considering it since this type of technology will help us to have better management and better administration of the equipment through a single platform. The management of additional services with this new module will certainly help us to have the internet network much more secure with connections to the outside.

I've used the solution for more than seven years.

The solution is great in terms of stability.

The scalability is great.

Technical support is great.

We previously used Fortigate.

The initial setup was not complex.

We handled the implementation in-house.

We've seen an 80% ROI.

Cisco is not cheap, however, it is worth investing in these technologies.

We always evaluate various other options.

Network Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its cybersecurity resilience has been top-notch and paramount for our organization
  • "Cybersecurity resilience has been paramount. Because there is a threat of losing everything if ransomware or another sort of attack were to happen, the cybersecurity resilience has been top-notch."
  • "I would like it if they made the newer generation a bit simpler. You can do ASA code and FXOS. It is just a bit confusing with the newer generational equipment on what it can do."

What is our primary use case?

We pretty much use it as our edge firewall and data center firewall.

We have a colocation that is the center for all our campuses. That is where our edge firewall is. We use that for VPN as well, and it was a great thing during the pandemic because we were already ready to go with VPN. We didn't have to do anything extra on that part.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has really enabled us to ensure our university is secure.

Cybersecurity resilience has been paramount. Because there is a threat of losing everything if ransomware or another sort of attack were to happen, the cybersecurity resilience has been top-notch.

What is most valuable?

The multi-context feature is the most valuable, especially in our data center. Having different needs for different departments is part of our organization. We can have five firewalls in one.

What needs improvement?

I would like it if they made the newer generation a bit simpler. You can do ASA code and FXOS. It is just a bit confusing with the newer generational equipment on what it can do.

I have been using this solution for five years.

I would rate the stability as 10 out of 10.

We do maintenance for software updates, etc. I don't think we have had any major hardware failures.

We haven't had to really scale up too much.

The technical support is excellent. Every time that we have ever had an issue, we got a result very quickly. I would rate them as nine out of 10.

Positive

We have always had ASA since I have been at the company. The ASAs were in place and we have upgraded to newer ASA Next-Generation Firewalls.

I am not a huge fan of Cisco licensing in general. However, I wasn't really involved with the pricing. That decision was made a little higher than me.

We are in the middle of an upgrade to the newer Firepowers.

We have used Palo Alto for another solution and they have a better firewall. It is a whole new GUI to learn. With Palo Alto, you simply get one code, then that is your firewall. With the newer Firepowers, there are two or three different ways that you can run it. So, we currently have our data center running in ASA code, then we are doing it a different way with our edge ASA. My supervisor has complained about all the different ways that the new hardware can be configured and installed.

What other advice do I have?

Stay more up-to-date with equipment. The old equipment is what will get you, e.g., leaving Windows 7 machines on your network or 15-year-old switches.

Heavily research what can do cluster mode, HA pairs, etc. That is where we ran into the "gotchas". You have to run it in certain ways to have it clustered and run it another way to have it as an HA pair.

I would rate ASA Firewall as nine out of 10.

Senior Network Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
A stable and secure solution that works well
  • "Cisco tech is always good and helpful. I would rate them as 10 out of 10."
  • "Cisco ASA is starting to get old and Firepower is taking over. All the good things happening are with Firepower."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for security on everything from small customers to big data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

It is stable. We saw benefit from this in just a few days.

What is most valuable?

Cisco AnyConnect is my favorite. It is awesome. It also exists on Firepower and newer things.

What needs improvement?

Cisco ASA is starting to get old and Firepower is taking over. All the good things happening are with Firepower. Everything that I could wish for is in Firepower. We will probably not be doing too many new installations of ASAs since Firepower is mostly taking over.

I have been using it for 15 to 20 years.

It is stable and secure. There are a few bugs, etc. Overall, we are very happy with it. We have never looked at anything else because it works so well. I would rate the stability as 10 out of 10. It is very good.

There is maintenance. We have to keep an eye out for software upgrades and forced changes to the configuration. We have a network operations team of 15 people who take care of these things from day to day.

The solution's scalability is very good.

We use it on customers who have two employees up to customers with 5,000 employees. It is also used for customers who have one site or several sites. It is all over the place

Cisco tech is always good and helpful. I would rate them as 10 out of 10.

Positive

I didn't use another solution previously.

All our deployments have been different. Some have been really easy and others have been really complex. It could go either way: some are complex and some are easy. The complex solutions could take days or a couple of weeks to deploy. Easy solutions take a day.

If it was a big project, there would be a pre-project identifying what we were going to do and making a plan for it, then we would realize that plan. If it was a smaller thing, we would just jump into it.

It was deployed in-house. Depending on the solution and its complexity, it could take a single person to a team of 20 people to deploy it.

Our return on investment is having a network that we don't need to think too much about. It works, and that is it.

Cisco is always expensive, but you get what you pay for. It is expensive for a reason. It is a good solution, and good solutions cost money.

AnyConnect is an extra license. If you want the IDS/IPS things, those are usually extra too.

I evaluated Check Point, Palo Alto, and Fortinet, but Cisco won the race. Since we were already running most of our other networking with Cisco, it felt natural to land on Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution as 10 out of 10.

Download our free Cisco Secure Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022