Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
RizwanAlam - PeerSpot reviewer
AVP - Information Security Governence & Risk Management at Allied Bank Limited
An easy-to-use solution that has a live response which is really tailored to our needs, but needs a lot of time to record all of the behaviors
  • "The best feature of this solution is that we have a live response, which is really tailored to our needs."
  • "The solution would be more effective if there was a way to block automatically based on behavior."

What is our primary use case?

We have a dedicated team using this solution. They create incidents, escalate the incidents, and then respond to the events detected by the EDR.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of this solution is that we have a live response, which is really tailored to our needs.

What needs improvement?

There is no option for the solution to block automatically based on behavior. First, the solution needs a lot of time to record all the behaviors. Then, we manually have to create a behavior analysis rule to detect any malicious activity. The solution would be improved and be more effective if there was a way for this process to be done automatically.

We have been using this solution for six to seven months.

Carbon Black CB Defense
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Carbon Black CB Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is not always ideal, but it is pretty stable. We did face a few issues, in the response feature for example, but they were resolved.

At this point we have not encountered any issues with scalability, but time will tell how much scaling is feasible for us.

The customer support is average. At times I feel like they should have responded to us immediately because we had some issues that needed an immediate reply, but their response was a bit slow. However, overall, they're good and the support is acceptable.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

It was not easy and we faced challenges, but it was okay. We're also dealing with an issue involving multiple unsupported OS's because we have so many Linux products in our infrastructure. I would rate the initial setup as a three out of five, with one being difficult and five being easy.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution, but there are a lot of improvements needed. I am overseeing the project part of the solution, not the deep technical side. As far as my knowledge is concerned, it's an easy-to-use solution and it has many good features, but it also has many features that require improvement. I would rate the solution as a six out of ten.

Abbasi Poonawala - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Monitoring Carbon Black Agents with Forescout Extended Module for CB.
  • "Technical support is excellent."
  • "In the next release, it would help if we can get better control over containers."

What is our primary use case?

We use Carbon Black agents that are monitored by the Forescout Extended Module for CB. It will check that CB Agents are deployed and are in running state to secure containers across vmware environment.

The dashboard shows the security analyst who looks at the reports of the threats around policies monitoring Carbon Black agents. The discovery happens in Carbon Black, and as part of the discovery, it will monitor multiple Carbon Black agents. Deployment is on hybrid cloud VM cloud on AWS.

What is most valuable?

Technical support is excellent. It's also stable, scalable, and easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, it would help if we can get better control over containers. This will help secure the containers in multiple environments. For example, we need to secure the Kubernetes containers. Apart from admin user login to see containers processes running, developers & operate team users also should be seeing the container's processes running.

I have been using Carbon Black CB Defense for the past year.

Carbon Black CB Defense is a stable product.

Carbon Black CB Defense is a scalable product.

We have extended support from the IT technical team and the engineering team from VMware. Their support is excellent. I don't see any issue with technical support.

The initial setup and installation are straightforward. Typically it takes just two days to set up Carbon Black agents for the post cloud. A team of about 15 technical people deployed this solution.

There is a very big team from VMware, including VMware support, who implemented this solution.

The licensing costs depend on how many policies you have on the extended module for CB. We pay between $5,000 to $7,000 for a license for the Carbon Black monitoring agents.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Carbon Black CB Defense a seven.

Hybrid Cloud
Carbon Black CB Defense
September 2022
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Infrastructure - Global Head at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good security with a straightforward setup but requires better compatibility with other solutions
  • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "The solution needs better overall compatibility with other products."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

The security, specifically the endpoint security that the solution provides, is its most valuable aspect.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs better overall compatibility with other products.

I've been using the solution for less than a year. I've only really been using it for the last one or two quarters of this fiscal year. It hasn't been a very long time yet.

The solution is quite stable. We find it to be a reliable product. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale if you need it to. That's not a problem at all.

We have more than 10,000 people using the solution currently.

When it comes to technical support, so far it's been good. We've been pretty satisfied with their level of support. They are responsive and knowledgeable and we know we can get help when we need it.

We were not using any other product before we started using this solution. That said, we registered for other products too and finally decided to go with Carbon Black after trying out other options.

The initial setup isn't really complex. It's pretty straightforward. Those implementing the solution shouldn't have a problem getting it up and running.

The deployment only really took a few months. It was an okay process.

You need very little maintenance on the product. We have about two people here who manage it without any issues.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have any business affiliation with Carbon Black.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Isanka Attanayake - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager - Information Technology Infrastructure and Development Support at Royal Ceramics
Provides endpoint security without a lot of intervention, but client performance could be improved
  • "The solution is very useful and easy to handle. You don't need much intervention with this product."
  • "The local technical support is very poor, but the support from headquarters is very nice."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our endpoint security system. The solution is cloud-based.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The client performance could be improved. When you install it in the client, the performance gets a bit disturbed.

In the user interface, the user needs to have more visibility regarding what's happening because it gives you a very simple client for the user. It doesn't give a full output for the user. It would be great if that could be improved.

I have been using this solution for more than four years. We are working with the latest version.

The solution is really stable.

It is scalable.

For the local technical support, I would rather rate it at one, even zero, out of five. I would rate the global support at three or four out of five.

We previously used Kaspersky, and we switched to Carbon Black because it's a cloud-based application. It also requires minimum handling and basically runs on its own when you set the policy, so it's very easy.

The solution is a bit complex. Deployment took around six months.

The partners helped us.

The license is annual. It's a standard license.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10 because of the support.

The product is very smooth and pretty simple. I like it, and anyone can use it. My advice is to be careful about the partners when you're selecting.

KarthikR1 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at NCR Corporation
We can instantly respond if a false positive occurs
  • "The product allows us to focus on endpoint and antivirus protection."
  • "The GUI and reporting should be addressed and the product's administration features need fine tuning."

What is our primary use case?

While there is an IR team that is responsible for managing EDR or deep analytics, our focus is on endpoint and antivirus protection. This is where we encounter signature updates. We look for false positives in their relation to file interpretation. Should anything occur, we can instantly respond. Instead of sending a sample and getting coverage, we can put a policy and place an immediate stop on the false positives.

What needs improvement?

While I consider the product to be top notch and am happy with it, its reporting aspects need to be addressed.

I would definitely recommend Carbon Black CB Defense to others who are contemplating using it, but its administration features need fine tuning. I believe this is already being addressed so that gaps can be filled as these relate to other leading technologies on the market.

The GUI and reporting should also be addressed.

We have been using Carbon Black CB Defense for the past seven to eight months.

I have not had occasion to make use of technical support, although I may have in the future, as I am the product person who is working with another experienced team and there is a process under way to migrate from McAfee to Carbon Black CB Defense.

The initial setup was a bit difficult since we had to do it manually or through the use of a script.

The price for the solution is completely at government level, meaning one which is very high, although it is up to management to consider this criteria.

What other advice do I have?

Our company has over a thousand people who utilize the product. Going forward, everything will be managed by Carbon Black CB Defense.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Senior NOC Security Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
MSP
Implementation and upgrading difficult but operates well
  • "Once the solution is installed and configured correctly it does not require a lot of hands-on attention until you need upgrading."
  • "There are many different controls that are needed to be put into place for upgrading that makes it difficult. Having to re-engineer your IT infrastructure to match their software, as opposed to having it integrate and work independently causes difficulties. When there is an update to any software everyone has to be involved."

What is our primary use case?

My clients are using this solution for security as their frontline defense. They are using a whitelist that has all known software allowed.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are many different controls that are needed to be put into place for upgrading that makes it difficult. Having to re-engineer your IT infrastructure to match their software, as opposed to having it integrate and work independently causes difficulties. When there is an update to any software everyone has to be involved.

I have been using this solution for approximately six years.

The solution has been working well, nothing stands out as an issue.

I have found this solution to be highly scalable. We have clients that are large-size companies using this solution.

The technical support was great when we used them.

I rate the technical support of Carbon Black CB Defense a nine out of ten.

The solutions provider has made great strides in the last four years making it easier to implement. However, the way their architecture is makes it difficult, the installation is quite a cumbersome process to integrate everything together.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is it not easy and it takes time and money.

I rate Carbon Black CB Defense a five out of ten.

Private Cloud
Cyber Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Its security features and signatures are constantly updated, so it is more effective than other solutions
  • "CB Defense is more powerful, and you can take more actions than others. Its security features and signatures are constantly updated, so it is more effective than other security solutions."
  • "Integration is difficult, but CB Defense is more powerful than others. It is difficult to implement but easy to pick up many detections."

What is our primary use case?

CB Defense is a threat identification and protection solution. In general, it's more often deployed on the cloud than on-prem. The customer decides.

What is most valuable?

CB Defense is more powerful, and you can take more actions than others. Its security features and signatures are constantly updated, so it is more effective than other security solutions. We can integrate with XCDR. Carbon Black EDR integrates with Carbon Black EDE. But you don't need to integrate CB Defense with other external security solutions.

What needs improvement?

Integration is difficult, but CB Defense is more powerful than others. It is difficult to implement but easy to pick up many detections.

I've used CB Defense for a couple of years.

CB Defense is stable.

Carbon Black support is easy to access and helpful.

The installation is straightforward, but it requires two to four members of our team to implement it, and deployment takes a couple of hours. You need admins to install it because it involves setting permissions and requires documentation.

All EVV requires licenses for the appliances as well as the security features.

What other advice do I have?

I rate CB Defense nine out of 10. It's different, so it stands out among all the others. Carbon Black is more costly but also more powerful and effective, so I recommend it.

Hybrid Cloud
Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good reporting and very scalable
  • "I like its reporting."
  • "Its compatibility can be improved. It did crash a server during deployment, which is not something that I want to happen. Its deployment should also be easier. The whole deployment cycle needs to be simplified. It is an enterprise solution, and to set it up right now, you have to be an expert."

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP, and we deployed this solution for a banking client. We use it to help us defend against advanced persistent threats.

What is most valuable?

I like its reporting.

What needs improvement?

Its compatibility can be improved. It did crash a server during deployment, which is not something that I want to happen.

Its deployment should also be easier. The whole deployment cycle needs to be simplified. It is an enterprise solution, and to set it up right now, you have to be an expert.

I have been working with Carbon Black CB Defense for six months.

After the initial system crash, I haven't had any issues.

It will be very scalable.

I haven't contacted them.

The initial setup was complex because we needed to set up a server, deploy it to the server, and push it up from there. We had the on-premises server setup. Its cloud version may be easier.

It took one week to fully deploy it. The strategy was just to rip and replace the solution that we had before.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise making sure that it won't cause problems with your servers. Whenever possible, it is good to fully test a product before deploying it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. It needs better ease of use and deployment.

Download our free Carbon Black CB Defense Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022