IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

BrowserStack OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BrowserStack is #9 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give BrowserStack an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. BrowserStack is most commonly compared to Perfecto: BrowserStack vs Perfecto. BrowserStack is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
BrowserStack Buyer's Guide

Download the BrowserStack Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is BrowserStack?
BrowserStack is a cloud-based cross-browser testing tool that enables developers to test their websites across various browserson different operating systems and mobile devices, without requiring users to install virtual machines, devices or emulators.
BrowserStack Customers
Microsoft, RBS, jQuery, Expedia, Citrix, AIG
BrowserStack Video

BrowserStack Pricing Advice

What users are saying about BrowserStack pricing:
  • "This solution costs less than competing products."
  • "There are different licenses available that can be customized. You can select the features that you want only to use which can be a cost-benefit."
  • "The price of BrowserStack is high."
  • "BrowserStack could have a better price, but good things have a price."
  • "The price is fine."
  • BrowserStack Reviews

KenBailey - PeerSpot reviewer
    QA Engineer at Projekt202
    Test against a huge range of device and browser combinations but expect some connectivity issues
    • "Testing across devices and browsers without maintaining that inventory is invaluable."
    • "The product guides and resources are extensive and very helpful."
    • "Local testing for products with no public exposure is an advantage in development."
    • "Connectivity can sometimes mar the testing experience."

What is our primary use case?

A lot of times we use BrowserStack because we provide QA services to our clients as part of a bigger solution. We do software consulting. We use it to test across mobile devices — actual mobile devices — so that we do not have to maintain our own collection of devices. Trying to do that would be just crazy for us because there are so many devices and so many potential combinations. We test against different combinations of operating systems, browsers, and versions of browsers. For example, we continue to test IE 11, even though that is painful for a lot of our development team. Unfortunately, we still have to support it for a lot of clients. We use BrowserStack for cross-browser testing to assure compatibility.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to test our development against a huge range of product combinations that we could not realistically maintain in house. It really adds to our core capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Just the ability to test across devices is probably the most valuable feature. For example, a website that we might be building out has to be responsive. Our initial design may work on some devices, but then in testing with BrowserStack we find that it does not work on all of them. So it reveals what we need to include in recommendations for our clients. From a practical standpoint, that could be letting them know what devices we might want to support or not support any longer.

The other thing that we had to do — because some clients have their test environment secured — is to use the product's local testing abilities as a workaround. That feature lets you test web and mobile apps without hosting them on publicly. To be able to do that and provide the workaround is a pretty good feature.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes connectivity can be a problem. We will be in the middle of testing and we will lose connectivity sometimes. That is the biggest issue that I have seen. That is a stability issue within BrowserStack, not an issue with services.

I have thought about features I would like to see included in the next release of the BrowserStack. I do not know if it is even possible to support this or not. Being able to test GPS within applications would be useful for us. What I mean by that is being able to do real-time testing based on your location. I do not know if BrowserStack could support that in emulations in a future release. Being able to emulate GPS positions during testing would be valuable for what we do and the clients we serve. For example, if we are doing something and need to do QA for a rideshare or delivery service the GPS testing would come into play.

BrowserStack
    August 2022
    Learn what your peers think about BrowserStack. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
    622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been dealing with BrowserStack for about four years.

Overall, I think the stability is good. It is a tried and true product. I think they are the leader in this category of products. Part of it is the price. The other part of the reason they are leading is because of the performance. We have had some issues with the connectivity, which is a stability problem, but it is not generally an issue.

I believe this product is quite scalable. One thing we have not done with our version of BrowserStack is to use it for automated testing yet. Because we are using a client's solution for a particular job I am working on, we are going to be using Perfecto in that case. Both Perfecto and BrowserStack offer the ability to perform automated testing across devices. So that is something we are definitely going to be checking into with some interest in the near future and that is another way to scale usage.

Our company has a lot of different clients. With the particular one that I am assigned to, we are going to be building additional teams if everything goes well. It is a large client, or it has the potential to be a very large client. With that in mind, we are looking to add more teams and that would include using additional QA resources. As we build that up right now, we are willing to make important decisions. What we are using will need to be scalable when we add more users. Whatever we need to do over the next two or three years to meet those demands is what we are going to do.

So far when I have had an issue, I have been able to go into BrowserStack's online documentation resource and find the answers pretty clearly. Because of that, I have not had to contact tech support. I think their knowledge base is pretty extensive.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It is pretty easy to follow the product guides and set it up properly.

They have different pricing plans for BrowserStack. We are looking to grow our presence with a particular client quite a bit. With that in mind, we are going to be adding a lot more teams and users so we looked into competitive pricing. For BrowserStack, the pricing for 25 users is similar to the pricing for 10 users on Perfecto. At the end of the day, our cost per user would be significantly higher using Perfecto versus BrowserStack. I can not say what the exact price is. BrowserStack is an expensive solution as well, but it is certainly a more cost-effective solution than competing products. The price per user license is lower. At least that is what we are seeing.

We have not actually done it yet but we are going to be working in a situation where a client already has Perfecto and we will be using that for testing for a product. It will be a great opportunity to check into the product differences.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone looking into BrowserStack and products like it is to really do some research into the products you want to use. Our company looked to our team of QA personnel to evaluate other products. At the end of the day, they came back and said that most of the competing products in the category did not meet all the needs we have. BrowserStack continues to be the leader as far as meeting the needs of our QA team.

During the research, we looked for reports on the review sites, the recommendations people were making, and whatever feedback we could find from real users. Certainly, it is important for us to try and be exhaustive in researching before we make any recommendation and the investment that goes along with committing to a product. We have to make sure the product is going to absolutely meet our needs. We do not want to waste time picking the wrong product for the job.

From the research that we did, I was looking to see the overall percentages of recommendations. I think BrowserStack showed that it was more widely used across the industry than Perfecto. I think they are both similar offerings, but BrowserStack systems just seem to be the clear, popular choice. A lot of that is probably just that their pricing model is more favorable.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the BrowserStack as probably a seven-out-of-ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Automation Test Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Unique features, useful geographical mimicking, but more integration needed
    • "The main core concept behind this product is, it takes the overhead of maintaining all of your devices or particular computers. It continuously adds the latest devices that are coming into the market."
    • "While I was testing I was not 100% sure a that was properly mimicking the browsers or not. We had some issues with a browser, and the reason was the browser itself does not provide any support. If the local system does not provide any support, I think this was the problem. There should be better integration with other solutions, such as JIRA."

What is our primary use case?

We are using BrowserStack for several use cases. In our first use case, we have automated testing on the server. When you have automated testing, it uses your local browsers and BrowserStack provides the ability to integrate it with your code. Instead of using your local browsers for executing the code, it'll be executed remotely, and the integration is very easy.

Our second use case was for cross-browser testing for the same automation with the script that we have.

In the third use case, we were having different platforms. In some of the test cases, we were using a different browser or a combination of a different browser and the different OSs that we have. For example, we had the combination of Windows with IE, and Apple and Mac, with Safari. We did tests on many devices, such as iPhone and iPad. All the devices are available. Once we have integrated it, we were easily able to switch our testing to any of the other devices that we wanted.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has many benefits, we are not worried about maintaining devices locally in our organization. This is one of the biggest benefits. Any device that is new in the market, or any phone or OS that is launched the new version is always available. We are never worried about having access to those. In the real world, you have to buy those new devices and you have to go through a lot of processes to maintain them.

Mmaintaining the devices is the largest task. All the devices have to be checked physically for many things, such as charging. While someone else might need a device but not be able to have access when it is a physical device, there are limitations. With virtual devices, everyone can have access right away, they can log in and start using the device.

What is most valuable?

The main core concept behind this product is, it takes the overhead of maintaining all of your devices or particular computers. It continuously adds the latest devices that are coming into the market.

You are able to can record all of your executions session. It's easy to keep track of what you have executed. The screenshots are available.

There are a lot of unique features. For example, when you want to configure the bandwidth of your internet, or if you want to test something with the low bandwidth of your internet, such as how your features are working in the low band to allow configuration of your VPN. Some websites only can be accessed from the UK and if you want to mimic the scenario where the person from the UK is accessing the site, you can do that. Geographical mimicking is also available.

What needs improvement?

While I was testing I was not 100% sure a that was properly mimicking the browsers or not. We had some issues with a browser, and the reason was the browser itself does not provide any support. If the local system does not provide any support, I think this was the problem. There should be better integration with other solutions, such as JIRA.

All the testing that I do is functional testing, such as UI testing is for mobile. I'm not sure whether it is allowing for desktop testing or not, but if it does not, they should add it for various desktop applications as well for us to have remote access.

I have been using BrowserStack for approximately one and a half years.

The performance of the solution is good. We have not faced any issues. All of the mobile devices or and different OSs have been working well.

The solution is scalable. You have access to all the latest devices and OSs needed. You can increase the number of users using the solution by purchasing more licenses.

We have a team of approximately 35 people, and we all are using the solution.

We do not use this solution on a daily basis but when there is a particular project our teams will use it on a daily basis for testing.

Initially, when we were configuring the automation, we had some issues that we had to contact the technical team. The communication was through email. They do not have a large team of support agents and it would appear that they are still establishing their team.

We have previously used Blisk, which is a similar solution to BrowserStack. It's a simulator for different devices you might have.

Blisk had a limited amount of devices to use. It is a simulator, it is difficult to perform tests with it. It is not a virtual system causing it to have limitations. You can have your application in different sizes and in different devices. The size of the UI will be changed according to the device, not any configuration.

When I am using BrowserStack in the VA systems and if I selected an Apple device the code and configuration will be that of an Apple device.

There is no installation process for BrowserStack, it is a SaaS. However, the process to use the service is very straightforward. You need to choose which device and browser you want and you can start right straight away. Within two or three-step, you can start your application remotely.

There is no maintenance required.

We have licenses to use this solution and it is on a per-user basis. It is a bit expensive compared to other tools are the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to use the solution to make sure they know their specific requirements and intended usage before purchasing a license. You do not want to purchase features you do not want to use. Use the free version first and then once you understand the solution you can purchase it.

I rate BrowserStack a seven out of ten.

BrowserStack
    August 2022
    622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Vitaly Ivanov - PeerSpot reviewer
    Qa lead at a marketing services firm with 201-500 employees
    Multiple test devices, effective troubleshooting, and overall useful features
    • "BrowserStack has lots of devices to choose from."
    • "Sometimes BrowserStack is really slow and devices are not loading. it is really annoying and that's why we bought several newer devices because sometimes it's affecting us a lot."

What is our primary use case?

We use BrowserStack for testing on different platforms. It's a platform that allows us to test on different devices and platforms. We're using it as a regression tool and for testing on different devices.

How has it helped my organization?

We have some requests from our users telling us that something's not working with their device and it's easy to find the bug if the user is going to provide us the OS version and the device that they have. We can go to the specific device and OS version and check it out on our end. Without BrowserStack, it could be difficult to do.

What is most valuable?

BrowserStack has lots of devices to choose from.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes BrowserStack is really slow and devices are not loading. it is really annoying and that's why we bought several newer devices because sometimes it's affecting us a lot.

There are times when the exact device does not exist with a specific iOS within BrowserStack. We're fully moving to iOS 15 and there are not many devices available with iOS 15. Those that are available are not available with other OS versions here.

It's good to have a custom setup but I understand that the testing starts with everything cleared, cookies, and incognito mode. In order to faster go through the SaaS process, it's better to have something with preset, such as when you visit the webpage on a certain date. This way, the testing is going to go faster for us. We would use it more extensively.

There are times when you're not clicking the right spot in your browser, such as the back button, and instead of using one within the browser window. We're testing a browser inside the browser and it could lead to some glitches, even though this is my mistake. I know it's my error. However, the user experience of the browser inside another browser could be improved. They could disable certain buttons or allow us to disable them.

I have used BrowserStack within the last 12 months.

There have been some stability issues.

We have plans to increase the usage of BrowserStack for visual testing in the future.

I have not used the support because I thought none of the bugs were experiencing would be something that could be fixed quickly.

We don't have the native BrowserStack application. We use the web application.

We have evaluated Sauce Labs and the devices run faster but we most likely will still stick with BrowserStack. We are looking at moving to a different platform.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend others who want to use BrowserStack to see if they can receive a promotion period, at no cost, and test it out.

I rate BrowserStack an eight out of ten.

Approximately a year ago I would rate BrowserStack a six or seven out of ten because it was very buggy.

Aeron Gonzales - PeerSpot reviewer
    Quality Assurance Analyst at Mohara
    Helpful for testing and useful for different devices but not stable
    • "It's helpful for me to test on different devices."
    • "The solution is slow."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use it for using cross-platform testing. For example, using different devices mainly with it. With our current brand, with BrowserStack, we don't have other features provided. That's the only feature that I could work on right now.

What is most valuable?

For BrowserStack, it's helpful for me to test on different devices. Currently, that's the only tool that we use for testing on different devices. I don't have other devices. I only have one Android and one iOS. Other aspect ratios of different devices couldn't be tested on only two devices. That's the main purpose right now for BrowserStack.

What needs improvement?

The solution is slow.

There are limitations to the product. For example, the only things that we could validate were APK files and IPA files. For them to support machines such as Windows and Mac, or if they could add more, that would be ideal.

The pricing is more expensive than other tools.

I've dealt with the solution for more than a year.

I didn't appreciate much about the stability. There have been times that BrowserStack was really, really slow. That's why I am looking into a different tool.

I'm not sure about scalability. For BrowserStack currently, I only use it between Android and iOS platforms, however, I don't have the features wherein I could test on different types of machines as well, for example, testing on Windows and testing on Mac. That's a different platform as well. We also cater to web applications. In that manner, we couldn't validate web applications through BrowserStack. The only thing that we could validate was APK files and IPA files. That's the limitation of this product.

Four to five people use the solution currently.

We didn't actually reach out to their technical support team yet.

I'm not sure if a different solution was used previously.

I was not involved with the setup or deployment of the solution. I can't speak to how the process went.

The pricing is very expensive. The licensing is yearly. I'm not handling the finances. I'm not sure about the cost. We have an annual plan for BrowserStack since we don't want to do a monthly bill. It's much more expensive compared to annual pricing.

I looked into LambdaTest. While currently I only have BrowserStack, I'm looking into migrating over to LambdaTest instead.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers.

We're not using the latest version of the solution. It's a previous version.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Other
    Flexible with a fast and easy setup but needs better integration with frameworks
    • "It just added some flexibility. There was nothing that improved our coding standards, etc. because all of our UIs were functional before we tried it."
    • "Adding better integration with frameworks, particularly testing frameworks like Robot, would be of more value to customers and make their jobs easier."

What is our primary use case?

We were testing it as a user interface on various systems which we manage.

How has it helped my organization?

It just added some flexibility. There was nothing that improved our coding standards, etc. because all of our UIs were functional before we tried it.

What is most valuable?

If you ask me feature-wise, I don't think I have tested all the features there—around 40 to 60 percent— nor I was interested in doing do that because the trial was so short. However, there were a few devices that we did not want to procure but we found them within BrowserStack architecture when we tried it out. More than a feature, it was the hardware support that we were able to get through the interfaces. This helped us address a very rare requirement that had come up within our end customer's stack.

What needs improvement?

Adding better integration with frameworks, particularly testing frameworks like Robot, would be of more value to customers and make their jobs easier.

I only used it for about two weeks during a 14-day trial period about four or five months ago.

This at least gave us good stability and the results that we saw were quite reasonable enough.

It was easy enough. Because I come from an IT background and have done deployments of many solutions, it was quite simple. It didn't take more than 10-15 minutes on that day.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BrowserStack a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Chatchawal Siluang - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Software QA Engineer at Seven Peaks Software
    Useful manual tests but could be more stable

What is our primary use case?

I use BrowserStack for functional testing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of BrowserStack is the ability to do manual testing.

What needs improvement?

BrowserStack operates at a slow pace, it could improve by making it faster.

I have been using BrowserStack for approximately three months.

BrowserStack sometimes works well and other times it is very slow. The stability could improve.

We have 20 percent of our users in my company using BrowserStack.

I have not used technical support from BrowserStack.

I have not used another solution in the same category as BrowserStack.

The price of BrowserStack is high.

I rate the price of BrowserStack a three out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I rate BrowserStack a seven out of ten.

AlejandroGarduno - PeerSpot reviewer
    Quality Assurance Lead at Wiceline
    Great product, scalable, easy to setup

What is our primary use case?

I use BrowerStack for performing automation tests.

What is most valuable?

The BrowserStack interface is easy to use and the webinar has a lot of information.

What needs improvement?

BrowserStack could have a better price, but good things have a price.

I have been using BrowserStack for three years now.

I have found that BrowserStack is stable.

BrowserStack is scalable, but cost is significant for those living in Mexico.

The setup of BrowserStack was easy to implement.

What other advice do I have?

It would be great if BrowserStack came with a downloadable mobile device option. The adoption of new tools on BrowserStack would be helpful. Playwright is one of these tools currently offered by Microsoft. I would rate BrowserStack a ten out of ten.

Alejandro Garduno - PeerSpot reviewer
    Quality Assurance Lead at ZX-Ventures
    A cloud web and mobile testing platform with full device capability

What is our primary use case?

We're building two products at the same time. We're building web pages and building Android and iOS applications. After the building stage, we're going to translate it to automation. But right now, we're testing and proving tools to understand which one will work best in the future.

What is most valuable?

I like that it offers full device capability.

What needs improvement?

Customer support could be better. We tried to implement and explore this product with the vendor or reseller's help, but we haven't had any good response about the product.

The initial setup and configuration of this product are easy.

The price is fine.

Sauce Labs and BrowserStack are very similar

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give BrowserStack a nine.

Download our free BrowserStack Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: August 2022