MakhosonkeMatshoba - PeerSpot reviewer
ESM Specialist at LetsCloudIT
High availability, helpful notifications, and feature rich
  • "BMC Helix ITSM gives us email and SMS notifications, we can check the tickets, and give feedback. All the basic features that we need are available."
  • "The notifications that the solution is providing are very helpful, they should keep improving them for the future."

What is our primary use case?

We use BMC Helix ITSM only for managing internal tickets. I only use it for checking my tickets because I'm just an end-user. I phone the service desk or I use their self-service interface to log my tickets. I have access to the interface, which I use to receive feedback on my tickets. If there's any work that I do for internal support, I use the same interface. The interface is what I use to receive information into the system and let the service desk know how far I am. There's very little that I do on that side of things. It's less than 5 percent of the work I do on BMC Helix ITSM, and 95 percent of the work I do is with CA Service Desk.

What is most valuable?

As people progress in the life cycle of the ticket, you need to know what's happening, and the notifications BMC Helix ITSM provides are helping us a lot to know exactly what's happening.

What needs improvement?

I have been using BMC Helix ITSM for approximately two years.

BMC Helix ITSM
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about BMC Helix ITSM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

BMC Helix ITSM is stable, it has high availability.

I am not sure how scalable the solution is but it has always been working well.

I have not contacted the support from BMC Helix ITSM.

I used to work for another company in 2004 and they were using a solution called Remedy, but the interface was a lot different. There are a lot of similarities to BMC Helix ITSM. The company has been using Remedy for approximately 10 years.

There are licenses to use this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. From what I've read BMC Helix ITSM has a lot of features and far more than the CA Service Desk. I haven't been part of the team to experience the other solutions but from what I've read, it's very rich in its features.

I rate BMC Helix ITSM a nine out of ten.

Principal Architect at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Reliable and able to expand but technical support isn't helpful
  • "It's one of the top solutions on the market for ITSM capabilities."
  • "The interface isn't that great."

What is our primary use case?

It's a help desk software. It is an ITSM system. We are an MSP. We use it in-house and then we use it for a bunch of our other customers.

What is most valuable?

It's a stable, reliable product.

The solution can scale and expand well.

It's one of the top solutions on the market for ITSM capabilities.

What needs improvement?

We used to use it and we don't want to use it anymore. We're actually now replacing it.

The interface isn't that great. Also, it just doesn't integrate with as many systems as ServiceNow.

The initial setup is complex.

I've been using the solution for 11 years or so.

The stability is very, very good. I'd rate it four out of five in terms of reliability. It doesn't crash or lag on us. There aren't bugs or glitches.

It is highly scalable. We have lots of users. We've never had a problem expanding it. It's not a problem.

Their support is not really good yet. Due to our scale, when we work with their support, it's not very good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

We are actually on the way to phasing this solution out. We are replacing it with ServiceNow. ServiceNow integrates with more solutions.

The initial setup is pretty complex.

We had the competency to handle the setup in-house.

The cost is high and going up. Part of the reason why we're changing products is that the pricing actually went up recently by a lot.

What other advice do I have?

We're an MSP. We resell it for BMC amongst other things.

This solution is a SaaS, a Software as a Service, solution.

It's probably the second-best solution out there. It's just that, as an MSP, we just need to work with a bunch of other toolsets. When that happens, then you run into more support issues and run into more integration issues. That said, I would still say it's the second-best ITSM solution out there.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

BMC Helix ITSM
December 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Yousef Bayari - PeerSpot reviewer
ITSM Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Multiple scalability options, helpful support, and customizable
  • "The most valuable features of BMC Helix ITSM are its customization ability and the addition of new features. As a built-in Suite, it covers all that is needed in the IT guidelines, which is good. Each customer has their own needs, and the customization the solution provides is beneficial."
  • "BMC Helix ITSM could improve by having a cloud version. They are working on it which is a good thing because their competitors, such as ServiceNow, already provide cloud services."

What is our primary use case?

We are using BMC Helix ITSM mainly to manage the infrastructure network in terms of our CMDB. It is used for maintaining all the network elements, such as all the incidents, changes, and problems around the infrastructure network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of BMC Helix ITSM are its customization ability and the addition of new features. As a built-in Suite, it covers all that is needed in the IT guidelines, which is good. Each customer has their own needs, and the customization the solution provides is beneficial.

What needs improvement?

I have been using BMC Helix ITSM for approximately 10 years.

The stability of BMC Helix ITSM is good.

BMC Helix ITSM can be configured on load balance services, and there are different ways it can scale. We can build the DR servers to run side by side, there are multiple options to maintain scalability.

We have approximately 1,000 users using this solution. The users that use the solution consist of the change management team, all the technicians, problem management module, and the service assurance team that works with the incidents and create problems and work on them.

BMC Helix ITSM support is used all the time. They're responsive, and they always are willing to assist and extend their help.

The initial setup of BMC Helix ITSM is straightforward.

We have two BMC Helix ITSM experts that are supporting this tool.

What other advice do I have?

BMC Helix ITSM is a comprehensive solution. The market is booming toward the Cloud and that's why most customers are targeting ServiceNow. I can't say I'm an expert in ServiceNow, but the flexibility that the semi-cloud version, BMC Remedy ITSM, has in terms of customization, is one of the best.

I rate BMC Helix ITSM a nine out of ten.

CTO y Socio at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The chatbot is helpful, and we can use its workflow features to automate some of the use cases for our clients
  • "The Helix chatbot is helpful, and we can use its workflow features to automate some of the use cases for our clients."
  • "Helix needs to enhance some of its functionality with the latest technology. For example, Helix could improve its chatbot automation to automate more use cases."

What is our primary use case?

We use Helix to manage services for clients in Latin America and provide a service desk.

What is most valuable?

The Helix chatbot is helpful, and we can use its workflow features to automate some of the use cases for our clients.

What needs improvement?

Helix is not quite as mature as ServiceNow, which is a complete product. All of its technology is current. Helix needs to enhance some of its functionality with the latest technology. For example, Helix could improve its chatbot automation to automate more use cases.

We have around 25 clients and are in the process of moving one client to Helix. We will continue the deployment over the next 18 months or so.

Helix is stable.

Helix is scalable enough to handle our use cases. We plan to implement it for 200 users, but right now we're at fewer than 20.

We're BMC partners in Latin America, so we have strong support in the region. It isn't a problem.

I can't say much about the implementation because my team handles that, but I think it isn't complex.

We paid a service fee for implementation, and there's an ongoing monthly fee for the Helix, license based on the current number of named users.

We evaluated ServiceNow, and the features are similar. ServiceNow probably has better functionality. However, BMC offered a better price, so it was ultimately an economic decision. Considering the cost of both solutions, Helix provides the best value for the money.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Helix eight out of 10.

Bharath_Ram - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead, Tools implementation & Project Management at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Simple to use with a nice user interface, but it needs a richer text editor
  • "It provides a good user experience."
  • "There is a text editor that we use to enter our incident description or service request description, and it should be richer in terms of features."

What is our primary use case?

This is an IT Service Management tool for incident management.

I use this product as an end-user and not an administrator. This is not a product that I use extensively. We primarily use it for incident tracking and service request tracking.

What is most valuable?

The interface is nice and it's simple to use.

It provides a good user experience.

What needs improvement?

Functionality-wise, it falls short of our expectations. This could be the way we have it deployed. Perhaps, the functionalities have not been enabled 100% in our organization. There could be some additional features that our enterprise is not aware of, yet is available.

There is a text editor that we use to enter our incident description or service request description, and it should be richer in terms of features. For example, it would be helpful if we had more formatting options.

We have not faced too many issues with stability. It's fairly okay.

This product is used enterprise-wide, with between 600 and 800 users.

Our administration teams are the ones that have contact with technical support. As such, I have not had any experience with them.

Prior to using BMC Helix, we used CA Service Desk.

I prefer using BMC.

We used a system integrator for the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Will Sefara - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at Will Consulting
Digital workplace is good; log in process is unnecessarily complicated
  • "The digital workplace is appealing."
  • "Log in process is unnecessarily complicated."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a service management specialist and I'm in partnership with BMC.

What is most valuable?

I like the digital workplace, it's an appealing feature for me.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues with the solution is the requirement to provide a lot of information in order to log a request. I'm not talking about end users, technicians or engineers need to provide too much information to initiate a work order or an incident. It doesn't flow; access should require minimal effort. They should consider using ITIL principles and not just IT.

The initial setup required an engineer for configuration, to load data on the system. The datasheet form isn't user friendly, a client wouldn't be able to fill it in, a tech savvy person is required.

I like the tools BMC offers but it's very expensive.  The pricing model needs to be revisited.

What other advice do I have?

BMC is definitely not for small businesses, especially those in Africa, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East. It's difficult to get small businesses onto BMC because of the cost. For functionality, I would give this solution an eight out of 10 but I have a serious problem with the pricing and that brings my rating down to a six.

Practice Director, Global Infrastructure Services at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Lightweight and easy to use but integration could be better
  • "Helix is more lightweight than these tools. It's a traditional tool that was developed more than 10 years ago. Ease of use is the operative word."
  • "Integration could be better. If something doesn't work well with some tools and operations, then management becomes difficult, so you have to integrate other tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use BMC Helix for application discovery and dependency mapping the area of the nCode. It's one of the best programs we've used. We usually serve around 10 to 20 customers with this solution but it's fewer than 10 now.

What is most valuable?

Many other tools are similar. I've used these tools and find that they meet my requirements. Helix is more lightweight than these tools. It's a traditional tool that was developed more than 10 years ago. Ease of use is the operative word.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be better. If something doesn't work well with some tools and operations, then management becomes difficult, so you have to integrate other tools.

We've been using Helix for at least 10 years.

It is very stable and scalable.

I haven't really done the installation, so I do not know how complex it is.

The license is yearly.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to 10, I would rate it a seven. Before adopting, I would recommend evaluating how well all the options are suited to your requirements.

Head of Customer Operations at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Good support and follows good standards and frameworks
  • "The standards and the framework that it follows are most valuable. It has an ITIL and out-of-the-box framework."
  • "They should add some of the bolt-ons into the initial setup, such as chat."

What is our primary use case?

It is basically in for the management and problem management.

What is most valuable?

The standards and the framework that it follows are most valuable. It has an ITIL and out-of-the-box framework.

What needs improvement?

Certain features can be improved. We find ourselves having to make a lot of customizations to make things work for us.

They should add some of the bolt-ons into the initial setup, such as chat.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is reasonably good.

It is scalable.

Their technical support is pretty good.

It was quite complex from memory. It was over three years ago, but it was quite complex.

We did evaluate other options. There were business reasons for choosing BMC over other providers.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise making sure that you have the expertise to administer the system.

I would rate BMC Helix ITSM an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud
Download our free BMC Helix ITSM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022