IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior Manager , Digital Transformation, Strategy & Transformation at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Scalable with good technical support and a great design studio
  • "Mostly we use the Design Studio to develop the automation. It's great. We put them into deployment and have the automated process running. It's essentially the Design Studio for Blue Prism and the entire methodology of delivery that is the most useful or valuable to us."
  • "It's not very easy to use. There is some learning curve that you need to manage as an individual."

What is our primary use case?

I work with an insurance organization and we are currently using it to automate our back-end office processes. For example, within insurance, you have claims and you have policy owner services, and you have different business units. We are looking at those processes and automating them through Blue Prism robotics.

What is most valuable?

Mostly we use the Design Studio to develop the automation. It's great. We put them into deployment and have the automated process running. It's essentially the Design Studio for Blue Prism and the entire methodology of delivery that is the most useful or valuable to us. The solution can scale.  Technical support is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

It's not very easy to use. There is some learning curve that you need to manage as an individual. In the past we have had platform challenges with Blue Prism, like the scheduler functionality doesn't always work as expected and there are content downtimes as well. On the stability, I will probably rate it a little lower than medium. If they could have process recording and task recording also in place, that will help expedite the delivery for the automation.

I've been using the solution for about six years. It's been a while.
Blue Prism
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Blue Prism. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability could be better. The scheduler functionality doesn't always work as expected and there is content downtime as well. It's okay, however, they could work on improving it.

The scalability is not an issue. Scalability is good. We are using it for around 500 robots, and the scalability is not an issue at all. In terms of users, we have around 50 odd configurators that actually use Blue Prism on a daily basis. Within the technical team, there you have a few project managers and within each project team, you have a business analyst and a configurator and then, you have a setup process controller who manages the processes. At this point, we do not intend to increase usage.

Blue Prism provides us with the technical support we need. They even have a monthly catch-up with our team and we are able to raise our technical queries during that time if we have any. There are no issues at all. We've been very satisfied with their level of attention and assistance.

I wouldn't know about the setup process. That's really more for the infrastructure team. I can't comment on it mostly due to the fact I wasn't a part of it.

We have an enterprise-grade license with Blue Prism and it depends upon your requirements. We ask for additional production bots, which is the main parameter for the license cost.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users. There are multiple tools in the market for RPA - Blue Prism, UiPath, Automation Anywhere, et cetera. I wouldn't rate it better than anyone else, and yet, I wouldn't rate it less either. It's as good as any other tool. Therefore, every company will need to do its own analysis and select the tool that makes the most sense for them. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

KasimIqbal - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Automation Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Helpful support and easy to develop in
  • "The technical support is very good."
  • "Blue Prism can improve a lot. The interaction with Google Chrome can be massively improved. I know in the next version there are slight improvements. We don't know how much, but we are comparing them. At this moment, Google Chrome is a massive issue within the toolset, due to the way Google Chrome receives updates regularly but Blue Prism is unable to cope. The spy method of Google Chrome is not as user-friendly as Internet Explorer is. However, Internet Explorer is being discontinued from their support, therefore it's not the best browser to be using. This has caused us major issues in the last six months."

What is our primary use case?

I'm one of the senior consultants in the company I work for, we are a service provider and we provide IT services to our customers. One of these services we provide is automation, using tools, such as Blue Prism.

We are upgrading to version 7.01 of Blue Prism in a few months.

We are using Blue Prism recently for statistics processes, which is the automation of SAP transactions for our logistics departments. Additionally, it is being used for SAP transactions within our IT finance service department. We do many things with it, such as partial reset and ticket re-keying. We have incident tickets logs from the IT department, which can be from emails, and we do re-keying exercises.

What needs improvement?

Blue Prism can improve a lot. The interaction with Google Chrome can be massively improved. I know in the next version there are slight improvements. We don't know how much, but we are comparing them. At this moment, Google Chrome is a massive issue within the toolset, due to the way Google Chrome receives updates regularly but Blue Prism is unable to cope. The spy method of Google Chrome is not as user-friendly as Internet Explorer is. However, Internet Explorer is being discontinued from their support, therefore it's not the best browser to be using. This has caused us major issues in the last six months.

Our customers go through platforms, such as CyberArk and Citrix. The way that Blue Prism interacts with these applications could improve. There are a few other issues, such as memory, but these are the key problems that have offered issues in the past six months or so.

I have used Blue Prism within the past 12 months.

We have had a mixed experience of the stability of the solution. The problem that we have faced might be our infrastructure. The application itself can't be completely blamed. I think some of the issues are down to our VM infrastructure, the application service that we use, and the host that the servers are hosted on. In terms of the application, we have not seen many issues.

The technical support is very good.

I have used UiPath previously.

You don't need to be a technical developer to develop in Blue Prism, you follow the natural way you have developed. Whilst with UiPath, you need some development background to be able to develop in it.

We have been using Blue Prism for approximately eight years and when we first set it up it was a bit complex, but we always had support from the license of Blue Prism and other providers that we have within our organization. The whole process was fairly easy because of the support we had.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to make sure they fully understand the use cases. If they are implementing it for customers, you're going to come across connectivity issues and make sure that you fully understand that it's not going to work right away. You're going to have to have a few releases into production, be mindful of Google Chrome and the issues that you may come across.

I rate Blue Prism an eight out of ten.

Blue Prism
July 2022
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior SAP Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, quick to deploy, and easy to set up
  • "Technical support has been responsive when we have needed their assistance."
  • "The deployment of the bots should be much faster and more intuitive."

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is simple. The deployment is pretty fast.

The stability is good.

We've found the solution to be scalable.

Technical support has been responsive when we have needed their assistance.

What needs improvement?

It's been our concern that we will be able to move more towards sustainability within our own company. We do rely a lot on third-party vendors, and we're hoping we can have more internal talent to actually manage all our projects. That's our number one goal and concern. We are looking into providing training to our business users that is similar to something like PowerBI, where you can basically configure and use less coding. That's what we want to leverage.

The license cost is a bit high. Being a finance guy, that's number one for me.

Number two is that whatever bots that you put inside, they only can run a specific activity at a specific time. For example, let's say I want to do a bank reconciliation at 10:00 AM, and, at the same time, I want to do some kind of asset capitalization, I can't do both. I need to choose which I can run at 10:00 AM. With one, I may need to re-time it. I'd basically like the bot to work on multiple activities at once.

The deployment of the bots should be much faster and more intuitive.

The stability has been good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it performs well.

We are actually expanding into other centers of excellence, or what we call a COE.

Due to the fact that we are a COE, the group finance, the group tech, we have about a thousand plus users at this time, and that will grow.

Technical support is okay. They're quite responsive.

That said, in terms of support, we do have our own technical panel internal itself, and they are actually the first layer, or level one. Subsequently, for level two issues and onwards, the vendor comes to the picture.

This is the first RPA we've worked with. We did not use another solution previously.

The initial setup is quite straightforward, and the deployment is quite fast.

The cost of the solution is high. It should be lowered. They need to make it more affordable.

We are currently looking into ServiceNow that also has RPA capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

I'm actually not a technical person, I'm actually more of a finance person. I'm a business user.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I'd advise potential new users that they need to take an actual use case, an actual business point, and do a pilot on it first to visualize how the solution could potentially work. If they find that it's satisfactory, then perhaps they could work on other rollouts. The key is to develop more on the user experience side of things.

Chief Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Immediately lowers the average handling time by 20-40%
  • "With Blue Prism, you automate the back-end processes. Blue Prism is more like service-side automation. It is not off-circuit automation. It is more like attended automation."
  • "They cannot do assisted automation. That is a drawback because that technology is very old now."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented Blue Prism some time back. I'm not using it right now.

I get most involved during the evaluation and the deployment phase.

With Blue Prism, we automated back-end processes. Blue Prism is more like service-side automation. It is not good for attended automation.

How has it helped my organization?

Blue Prism can lower the average handling time immediately by 20-40%.

You also need to look at what is the long term goal. A long term goal could be that you want to keep, not integrate, with anything else.

Blue Prism has a long learning curve because the coding is complicated. You need to be a very highly skilled developer. Blue Prism has a high coding skill and certification requirement that hinders your ability to automate quickly.

Blue Prism moves out new versions very fast and their back-up compatibility is not good as compared to their competition. Essentially, this means you spend a lot of money just upgrading the bots.

What is most valuable?

Blue Prism is quite stable. It has the interactive client that is really good. The licensing model is very simple as well.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is okay. I don't think there is much of a problem.They need to also have a better capability in attended automation. Blue Prism has not invested enough in AI development.

They need to have a Bot store. If they can introduce AI bots that will automatically diagnose why something failed and keep sending data back to admins, it would be an improvement.

We have been using the Blue Prism RPA ( /categories/robotic-process-automation-rpa ) solution for almost one year.

Blue Prism is quite stable.

When you need to run more processes, you buy more licenses, but you will spin up more VM. Scaling not is a problem for Blue Prism.

We started with Blue Prism.

The initial setup of Blue Prism is standard and not difficult. The instructions are very clear and easy. It doesn't take long to implement. The setup is not difficult.

Changing the board and getting it deployed didn't take too long. The deployment into production and moving to the environment took somewhere between eight to ten weeks. It could have been a little less.

reduction of Operations effort

These prices are deal-specific, it will probably not be right to review negotiations with the vendor. Currently, there are no new licensing agreement changes for us.

We evaluated Automation Anywhere.

What other advice do I have?

If you need only server-side back-end process automation, use Blue Prism. If you need assisted automation or services automation, use Automation Anywhere or UiPath. On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate Blue Prism with an 8.

Sonal Pawar - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Member Technical at Automatic Data Processing, Inc.
Helps in reducing manual operation and manpower
  • "We started with a very small team and small projects. As the project started getting success with Blue Prism we have a large number of teams now just for automating all the business procedures. Larger time was saved after automating the processes."
  • "They improve more in OCR, to read text more correctly, currently can say OCR in blue prism only works for less cases and is only effective 50%. so mostly OCR's of Blue prism is very less used and other API's or tools are integrated with Blue prism for OCR techniques."

What is our primary use case?

Anything which is redundant and has the same steps can be easily automated with Blue prism hence reducing manual operation and manpower.

We have a project in which a user requests through an email, Blue prism pickups that email and according to the request finds out which access has to be provided and follows the same procedure to give access. Once access is provided a business notification is reverted back. In case of an exception the business is notified in such scenarios after maximum retries.

How has it helped my organization?

The business was very much satisfied with the results. Many projects involving Java, Mainframe SAP, Web browsers, and Windows were made. We did also use PDF automation using OCR and Surface automation which helped tremendously as our company is payroll-based and involves lots of file processing in which the toughest is interacting with PDFs.

What is most valuable?

• Automating: Blue prism helps in reducing manual operation and manpower.
  • Reporting: As cases are handled by Blue Prism we can extract all the logs and provide reports and analyze reports as per the need. We can use the reporting and dashboard feature of Blue Prism. And if the business needs a separated report we can create a separate report for such cases also by creating a process.
  • Higher Productivity: Blue Prism can run in unattended mode for 27*7. No manual person needed other than Support.
  • Cost-effective: As manpower is reduced.
  • Higher Security: Blue Prism has inbuilt security features.

What needs improvement?

It can be improved more in :

1. Surface automation techniques: using region mode. Identifying images more properly.

2.OCR: Can improve more in OCR, to read text more correctly, currently can say OCR in blue prism only works for less cases and is only effective 50%. so mostly OCR's of Blue prism is very less used and other API's or tools are integrated with Blue prism for OCR techniques.

3. Integration Support: To integrate any tool, API with blue prism. the team support is very less and also no proper details are available in Blue Prism. This can be improved much more.

4. AI: AI techniques will make Blue prism more powerful which is currently not done.

I have been using Blue Prism for three years until now.

I was trained in .Net, and from then working in Blue Prism.

We used UiPath which was not so much effective than Blue Prism.

For simple processes use UiPath and Automation Anywhere.

For medium to high complexity processes use Blue Prism.

For much complex process involving decision making and much more of AI use Work fusin.

We did evaluate other options:

• Automation Anywhere
  • Work fusion

Other
Emeka Uchendi - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Consultant at ITwize Technology Limited
High performance, beneficial licensing model, and straightforward implementation
  • "The performance is very good and it is a valuable feature."
  • "In Nigeria, I don't know what their marketing is like. However, they're losing market shares to other solutions. Most customers know UiPath more than Blue Prism."

What is our primary use case?

Blue Prism is used by my clients mostly in the financial sector. We do a lot of bank reconciliations.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good and it is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

They have partners in Nigeria, for example, gold platinum partners. They are not doing well in the environment they've gone into and I don't know how Blue Prism evaluates them. Smaller companies do not like Plue Prism.  It's not because of Blue Prism's technology, but they're platinum partners among the four big consulting firms, they have not done a great job.

In a future release, Blue Prism should have an entry-level solution for smaller organizations with low-code capabilities. You need more technical knowledge to use Blue Prism compared to other solutions.

I have been using Blue Prism for approximately three years.

Blue Prism is a stable solution.

I have found Blue Prism is easy to scale.

Blue Prism is not suitable for small companies. They have a solution that covers partners, it's suitable for enterprises.

We have found it difficult to receive support from Blue Prism.

I have used UiPath previously and the licensing is more complex than Blue Prism.

UiPath has built a solution that can engage across small, medium, and enterprise levels companies. It can operate in not only enterprises. UiPath has a free solution where very small businesses can use it called the community edition. They can use it for a period of time for free and I believe it is for two or three. It encourages people to adopt UiPath.

The initial implementation is straightforward.

The full process does not take more than one day. However, it can depend on the environment. It typically can be done in a couple of hours.

The solution could require a varying level of maintenance depending on the method of deployment.

The license for Blue Prism is very straightforward, we only need one license.

Overall Blue Prism is less expensive than competitors. If you look UiPath, they have different kinds of licenses which you need a combination of them to work for example, at the enterprise level, and it's more expensive. However, if you're only doing entry-level operations it is less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Blue Prism has a cloud version now and  I would advise others to evaluate what they want to get to achieve first, before starting the RPA journey.

I rate Blue Prism an eight out of ten.

GRC Analyst at a marketing services firm with 10,001+ employees
It is stable and self-sufficient, and it makes custom developments easy and quick
  • "The ease of development is the most valuable. Standard VBOs are pretty useful there with Excel and different things. Our custom developments for SAP and things like that are pretty easy to set up and quick to get going."
  • "The control room is its worst feature. It can be laggy, and it is not as user-friendly. We're with staying Blue Prism, but we're moving it from on-premises to Microsoft cloud for cost savings. We looked into Blue Prism cloud. It has a lot of features, but it comes with a lot of costs. Right now, we have six spots, and we're only at 13% utilization. The cost didn't really weigh out for us for moving to Blue Prism cloud, but on-premises, it is working for what we need."

What is our primary use case?

We have about 20 use cases in production. Probably half of them are related to finance, monthly closures in our company, invoices, and bank reconciliations. On the IT side, use cases are about audit requirements with user attestations, user reviews, and schedules.

We're currently using the on-premises version, but we're internally moving to Azure cloud rather than moving to Blue Prism cloud.

What needs improvement?

Once it is set up and gets the steamroll, it seems pretty good to stay. It is self-sufficient in many ways with the processes. Change control and password are a bit of a struggle sometimes, but that's general with automation and trying to be fast-moving. Overall, it is pretty stable and self-sustaining.

It is scalable. We are using some central objects.

We probably haven't gone through their standard support channels, but we reach out to our contact there when needed, and he gets us in touch with somebody right away. So, within a week, we're talking to an expert and getting some assistance.

We just started with Blue Prism. We didn't deploy anything else previously.

I'm more on the production side. I didn't really do any of the setup functions.

I don't recall what it was. Initially, we had our licensing through the consultant, and when we stopped using them, we renegotiated licensing. Blue Prism gave us temporary licenses during the negotiation. When all things were said and done, it came out to a decent price even without the vendor. So, our management has been happy with that.

What other advice do I have?

Try to think of standard automation questions related to security, change control, and things like that before you get started because once you get developing, it is hard to go back and implement those things.

I would rate Blue Prism an eight out of ten.

Project Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with good automation capabilities and excellent features
  • "The new features that have come out have been great."
  • "If that bot is running 24/7, we have to allocate people 24/7, 24 hours a day. The cost of support can be quite high."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution to automate the enterprise processes that are so widely used by many staff and where we want to reduce the specific deviation where FTE may be high.

What is most valuable?

The solution has been quite stable so far.

The new features that have come out have been great.

So far, the solution has been faultless. We've been very happy with it.

The solution has been very good in terms of helping us automate processes.

What needs improvement?

If that bot is running 24/7, we have to allocate people 24/7, 24 hours a day. The cost of support can be quite high.

If there was a way that robots could self-heal if they stopped running for whatever reason, that would be helpful.

I've been using the solution for about two years at this point. It's been a while.

We've found the stability to be very good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution might be scalable. It depends on the process that we want to automate, actually. It looks to be pretty scalable overall, however.

We only have about 50 users on the solution currently.

We do plan to continue usage.

We don't really use support, It can be expensive. We need it to be 24/7 as our processes run 24/7 and if something goes wrong, we need to have access to them at any time, which means we need to pay more.

That also means we need to have our own staff on 24/7 to make sure the bots are working as they should.

We didn't previously use a different solution. This is our first and only product for the purpose of automation.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The specific developer or team is doing the deployment. Then, we often go live, and after we stabilize, we hand it over to our support team to continue the operation. Overall, we have had around six to eight people for the support portion. It must match the size of the project. Typically, you need two to four people with different roles per project.

We tend to sign two or three-year contracts for licenses. Afterward, we may renew or tender a new company.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies. That said, companies should venture out and try other tools as well. You want to compare to ensure you're getting a comprehensive solution that covers your needs as an organization.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free Blue Prism Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022