IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Amazon SageMaker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon SageMaker is #9 ranked solution in top Data Science Platforms. PeerSpot users give Amazon SageMaker an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Amazon SageMaker is most commonly compared to Databricks: Amazon SageMaker vs Databricks. Amazon SageMaker is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Data Science Platforms Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Amazon SageMaker?

Amazon SageMaker is a fully-managed platform that enables developers and data scientists to quickly and easily build, train, and deploy machine learning models at any scale. Amazon SageMaker removes all the barriers that typically slow down developers who want to use machine learning.

Amazon SageMaker was previously known as AWS SageMaker, SageMaker.

Amazon SageMaker Customers

DigitalGlobe, Thomson Reuters Center for AI and Cognitive Computing, Hotels.com, GE Healthcare, Tinder, Intuit

Amazon SageMaker Video

Archived Amazon SageMaker Reviews (more than two years old)

Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Great for automating pipelines and creation of API endpoints
  • "Allows you to create API endpoints."
  • "Lacking in some machine learning pipelines."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for SageMaker is for developing end to end machine learning solutions and ready solutions for things such as computer vision or speech recognition or speech to text. It's basically providing off-the-shelf solutions. Our customers are generally medium to enterprise size companies. We're a partner of Amazon.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is that it allows you to create API endpoints and that saves a lot of time for data scientists.

What needs improvement?

The product has come a long way and they've added a lot of things, but in terms of improvement I would like to probably have features such as MLflow embedded into it.

Additional features I would like to see would include, as mentioned, MLflow and ML Pipelines which are more of a feature rich support of machine learning pipelines as well as scheduling machine learning pipelines, and visualization of machine learning pipelines.

I've been using this solution for about a year.

July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Databricks, Microsoft and others in Data Science Platforms. Updated: July 2022.
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is quite stable.

The solution is hosted on Amazon so it's quite scalable.

The documentation is good so I haven't needed to use technical support.

SageMaker was the first cloud solution I've used but there are other products, such as Databricks or Google and Azure that have similar products. There are common features with all these products but I'd say that SageMaker has more features than Databricks. Azure has other features in addition to Databricks, but SageMaker has provided everything.

Initial setup is quite straightforward.

The pricing for the Notebook endpoints is a bit high, but generally reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I think for anyone using SageMaker it will help automate pipelines, and make it easier than doing the process manually. For anyone already on the AWS platform, they should definitely make use of it.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Jaison Jose - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Architect & Support Service Delivery Manager at Almoayyed Computers
Reseller
Straightforward setup, scalable, and the technical support is good
  • "The most valuable feature of Amazon SageMaker is that you don't have to do any programming in order to perform some of your use cases."
  • "AI is a new area and AWS needs to have an internship training program available."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider that is concentrating on migrating our customers from on-premises to the cloud, and Amazon SageMaker is one of the products that we implement for our customers.

SageMaker is an AI platform, and I have been working on creating a solution that uses SageMaker and DeepLens to recognize people for access control. It will automatically log people who are coming and leaving. The second use case that we are working on is a system that recognizes cars by reading license plates and then opening a gate automatically to let them into the parking area.

AI, in general, has not yet been heavily used in this region so I am working on three or four use cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Amazon SageMaker is that you don't have to do any programming in order to perform some of your use cases. As it is, we can start to use it directly.

What needs improvement?

AI is a new area and AWS needs to have an internship training program available. This is one place where I see this solution lagging. There is high-level training available, but when you consider that people have been working with Windows, Linux, and various applications for the past 20 years, they know those products inside and out. SageMaker, on the other hand, is a completely new tool. It can be very hard to digest.

AWS needs to provide more use cases for SageMaker. There are some, but not enough. They should collect or create more use cases and then distribute them free of charge to the customers.

I would like to see a more graphical, low-code interface that can be used to customize SageMaker.

We have just begun to provide services using SageMaker.

This solution is completely scalable.

I have been in contact with Amazon technical support in the past, but not for SageMaker. I have between 50 and 70 customers and I have worked with Amazon support on multiple cases. I am quite happy with it. It is not expensive and the service is great.

The value you get for paying from Amazon support is great. They are ready to work with me to resolve my issues.

The initial setup is straightforward. People with level-one training can start using it.

It usually takes about one hour to deploy, although the length of time and the number of people required are dependent on the complexity of the use cases and the environment.

The business support costs 10% of the Amazon utility spend

What other advice do I have?

Myself and certain people in my team have just begun the training. There is an eight-hour training video to assist with learning how to use this solution.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
July 2022
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sandeep_Pandey - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Scientist at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
A solution with great computational storage, has many pre-built models, is stable, and has good support
  • "They are doing a good job of evolving."
  • "I would suggest that Amazon SageMaker provide free slots to allow customers to practice, such as a free slot to try out working with a Sandbox."

What is our primary use case?

I know about SageMaker and its capabilities, and what it can do, but I have not had any hands-on experience.

It's a machine learning platform for developers to create models.

What is most valuable?

There are pre-built solutions for everything. For example, if you want to build a deep learning model, we already have AlexNet, the internet, and all of the packages are inside. You don't have to recreate the same thing from scratch, but instead, you can use their models. You can use their model and use their data, then you can use your data.

I am a big fan of their computational storage capabilities. It's a relational database itself. It's a new SQL and you get different types of services. That is one of the best things that I like when doing my research.

I cannot quantify it as it is based on your requirements, but I can say that it's very flexible and you are able to increase all of the RAM and the GPU support.

They are doing a very good job on their end. They are evolving. I have learned that they have already integrated an IDE into Amazon SageMaker. They are doing a good job of evolving.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is complicated and should be simplified.

I would suggest that Amazon SageMaker provide free slots to allow customers to practice, such as a free slot to try out working with a Sandbox. This would be beneficial for newcomers, especially those who are getting into the cloud space. They could explore this area and get all of the aspects including data engineering, data recognition, and data transformation.

I have been familiar with this solution for three months.

From my findings, it's quite stable.

Amazon promises that they will provide you with stability, and it is quite a stable platform.

If you are facing any issues it may be related to the computational storage capability that you opted for. For example, if you are opting for a full code row and you have a lot of data that is taking a lot of time, then you have to go back to retrieve it. That flexibility is within the AWS, but you have to bear the cost.

It's quite scalable.

The technical support is very good and I am satisfied with it.

I researched Amazon SageMaker on my own.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not complex.

The pricing is complicated as it is based on what kind of machines you are using, the type of storage, and the kind of computation. It is already decided, but if you want to have a look at how it is broken down or how they are calculating it, then they provide a tool where you can go and specify your options. These include what you want, how much storage, the RAM, and whether you want GPU support. You can include everything and then you can get the estimated cost.

AWS is an additional cost.

We are not with Anaconda Solutions, we use their packages. We are exploring their interface and it's capabilities. We are currently on a different tool, on a different platform. We are using their package managers to access the set of solutions deployed.

What other advice do I have?

I am not exposed to Amazon SageMaker but I know it's capabilities. I know exactly what we can do and how we can do it. We have been provided with several solutions for image processing, speech processing, and text processing. They have provided a built-in solution for every task. You can use tools for deploying your model, you just have to plug and play.

There is no cessation from what I can see. Whatever they have in the industry, they can solve 98% of the use cases.

There is also data engineering which is quite important. It's where the real work is done.

Amazon has already provided a free slot for each of the services that we have done. With Amazon SageMaker, however, I have not seen that.

I have not yet explored everything, but they are doing good work.

In terms of the dashboard, I can say that I have not explored the visualization aspect very much, but they have their tools. I don't know how flexible it is and how much customization you can do. That's something on the visualization side that I don't enjoy very much. My interests are mostly towards data engineering or data science.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Vice President & CIO at a logistics company with 201-500 employees
The Random Cut Forest Algorithm is helpful, but the IDE is immature and needs enhancing

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for Outlier Detection using Random Cut Forest. We intend to implement a Predictive modeling project starting in October and have not yet decided on the platform(s) we will utilize.

The challenge for us is balancing the Data Scientists, Technical vs. Analyst.

How has it helped my organization?

We are still learning the platform and will conduct more training as we evaluate it for other projects. The few projects we have done have been promising.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the Random Cut Forest and the IDE.

What needs improvement?

I would say the IDE is quite immature, but it is still in its infancy, so I expect it to get better over time.

We have been using this solution for six months.
Download our free Data Science Platforms Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Databricks, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: July 2022