IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
ByronSierra - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Consultant at High Sierra Consultants
Good elasticity, good performance, and reasonable price
  • "Macie is great. It is a service that makes recommendations on a data layer for cybersecurity. It is a great service."
  • "One thing that Azure offers that I think is good is Migrate appliance. So, Azure has a migrate appliance that allows you to run against workloads to determine the cost, preparedness, and scalability. I haven't found a similar feature in AWS. That kind of service would be great on AWS too if you could point it to the data center."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for enterprise warehousing. I am using it for web development, data warehousing, and also for building apps. I am using its latest version. In terms of deployment, it is a platform as a service.

What is most valuable?

Macie is great. It is a service that makes recommendations on a data layer for cybersecurity. It is a great service. Its elasticity is good, and I haven't come across any problems with it. So far, everything has been good.

What needs improvement?

One thing that Azure offers that I think is good is Migrate appliance. So, Azure has a migrate appliance that allows you to run against workloads to determine the cost, preparedness, and scalability. I haven't found a similar feature in AWS. That kind of service would be great on AWS too if you could point it to the data center.

I have been using this solution for well over five years.
Amazon AWS
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have not had any performance issues.

It's very easy to scale. Its elasticity is good. If you want to scale up or down, you can. You can scale out. There is no problem at all. That's one of the features that I like about it. We have less than 50 people who are using this solution.

I've not used their tech support yet.

We didn't use a different solution previously. They're the first.

You need to know what you're doing. I know they're trying to make it easy. Some things are easy. Some things you have to know what you're doing.

It seems to be reasonable. It's the first one that I've used as a cloud platform, so they've set the benchmark for me, and now, I'm comparing everything else to them.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to just plan out what they are looking for in terms of use cases.  I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of 10.
Founder at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Easy to sue, simple to install, and offers good scalability
  • "The pricing aspect of the product is pretty reasonable. It's not overly expensive."
  • "The usability of the solution could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for web hosting.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The stability of the product is great.

We have found the scalability to be very good.

Installing the solution isn't a difficult process. It's easy.

What needs improvement?

The usability of the solution could be a bit better.

I've been using the solution for about one year. It hasn't been that long.

The performance of the solution is good. It's stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so quite easily.

We have three people using the solution currently.

I've never actually reached out to technical support. Therefore I can't speak to how good they are at assisting clients.

We find the initial setup to be pretty straightforward. It's not overly difficult or complex.

The amount of time it takes to deploy the solution differs from company to company. However, if you would just like to just set up a server, it only takes about ten minutes.

I handled the installation myself. I did not need any integrator or consultant assistance. It was all done in-house.

The pricing of the product isn't overly expensive. It's basically set up as a pay-as-you-go. Therefore you're only paying for what you need and use.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We have been quite happy with the solution and its capabilities.

I would recommend it to other users and other organizations.

Amazon AWS
July 2022
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Staff Engineer at Commonwealth Bank
Aligns well with Agile and DevOps practices to help deliver applications faster to market
  • "There are a lot of features that I really like including ease of deployment, ease of build and release, and also that it is heavily focused on a PaaS or SaaS model."
  • "One of the problems that I have seen is that some of the products are not as mature as others."

What is our primary use case?

We provide services to clients using Amazon AWS and I've also used it for our own applications.

How has it helped my organization?

AWS aligns very well with agile and DevOps practices, as well as and cloud-native principles like infrastructure as code. In short, it helps me deliver my product faster to market.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features that I really like including ease of deployment, ease of build and release, and also that it is heavily focused on a PaaS or SaaS model. All I have to worry about is my application and not about the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems that I have seen is that some of the products are not as mature as others. For example, their API Gateway is not as mature as Kong, and their version control system is not at mature as GitHub. It's the same thing with their databases like DynamoDB, which is not as mature as MongoDB. Once we have equality in products between on-premises and cloud, this system will be a very good proposition.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for about five years.

As the majority of products on AWS are PaaS or SaaS offerings, scalability is not a big concern. For some of the services, you have to give them notice if you want to scale them beyond certain limits.

I have been in contact with technical support and they are quite good at responding.

The initial setup is not complex. In fact, I would say that it is relatively easy.

The time required for deployment depends on which products are selected. Some take minutes, whereas others can take hours.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering AWS is to try exploring and use it. I think that it will save you a lot of time.

Project Manager at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Consistent and reliable cloud computing that could use an improved interface
  • "Amazon has a much better understanding of the workflow of data scientists and machine learning processes. This is seen by their SageMaker which offers different versions of the models to be used."
  • "I think that the interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Propension ML model implementation, so the tech stack involves ETL, storage and computation capabilities for model design, implemented solution also involves pipelines and events handler for automated runs

How has it helped my organization?

Development of the product has been consistent which is beneficial for data engineers unlike Azure which has changed a lot, causing them much confusion.

What is most valuable?

Amazon has a much better understanding of the workflow of data scientists and machine learning processes. This is seen by their SageMaker which offers different versions of the models to be used.

What needs improvement?

I think that the interface could be improved.

Additionally, they lack good connectors with services within other clouds. For example, it does not integrate well with Power BI which is a Microsoft service.

Sometimes, some of their services can be too complex/technical. It's almost like they tried taking a microservice approach meanwhile the users want a little more integration

In other words the multi-cloud approach is not robustly promoted as there is a noticeable difference in ease of use.

I have been using this solution for eight months.

just one event where the whole service was down, although im not sure if it was anticipated by the service due to not being the actual service administrator

very good, the tier we used is one of the most basic and still performed with no problems

never had experience with customer service or support

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

pretty straight forward, although this project was 2nd one to be implemented on this cloud, so the customer company had already been up the adoption curve of the service

we provide the implementation as a consulting company soy neither in house or 3rd party as we are the 3rd party

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to implement Amazon AWS within your company, I would suggest finding someone that already knows some AWS as it has a harder adoption curve.

I would rate it a six out of ten.

Senior Architect, Technology Transformation Group at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use with good performance and good technical support
  • "The product is nice and stable. Its performance is great."
  • "The solution could offer better integration capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

Web developers use the solution for application building, modernization, cloud transformation, new development, and budget solutions. It has a wide variety of use cases.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The product is nice and stable. Its performance is great.

The technical support has been good.

What needs improvement?

The solution could offer better integration capabilities.

The pricing is a bit high. It's an aspect they could improve upon.

I don't use it in my current organization. I used to use it in my earlier organization. In fact, I don't really use it, however, we used to consult on it. I've been a consultant for about a year or so.

The product is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is great.

At my organization, there are around 100 users on the solution.

Technical support has been good. I have not heard of any customer complaints. It's my understanding that they are helpful and responsive and users are satisfied with their level of service.

I was not a part of the installation process. I cannot speak to how easy or difficult the implementation was. I have no visibility on that aspect. I'm not sure what the makeup of the technical team was or how many people were used to deploy it.

The price of the solution can get expensive. They could work to lower it for their clients.

Those that use the licensing do need to pay a fee. It can be paid on a yearly or monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I've worked as a consultant.

We've been quite pleased with its capabilities. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend the product to other users or companies.

Product Owner for AWS and DevOps at Sunlight Financial
Stable and priced well, but technical support needs to be more proactive
  • "Amazon AWS is very stable."
  • "They should implement the command shell by default. As it is now, to open the console, you have to download the command application."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in our company and for our clients' companies.

What is most valuable?

I like the IAM, the directory, and the storage.

What needs improvement?

They should implement the command shell by default. As it is now, to open the console, you have to download the command application. When you compare with GCP, they have the command shell inbuilt.

It would make it more seamless for the administrator to include this. There are times where the machine is not connecting and you can't wait for the RDP because you have to create them quickly.

Building a shell directly from the console is a good solution. This is missing by default. there are ways that it can be done and integrated.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for six years.

Amazon AWS is very stable.

It is a scalable solution, but you can only scale-out. You can't scale up.

We have approximately 200 users in our company who are using it.

Technical support could be improved, they could be better. We don't get SLA with AWS.

They give us a specific time for a solution but they don't advise further. We have to check to see if the issue has been resolved. There should be an automatic email to notify us that the issue has been resolved, by default.

The need to work on proactiveness.

I also work with GCP and with Azure.

The initial setup is easy. It is not complex.

We have a team of 50 people who maintain all of our solutions. It's spread across the team to run 24/7.

The pricing is one of the best in the segment.

They have actually reduced their prices, with the exception of the MLD which has increased.

It's by design itself.

They have placed the pricing well for a reduced market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS a seven out of ten.

GM COE at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to implement, with good technical support and great performance
  • "The solution can scale well."
  • "There's a huge cost for support."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for our clients, for infrastructure purposes.

What is most valuable?

The solution has been stable.

The solution can scale well.

Implementing the solution is very simple.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of scripts and data forms are available. For us, it's not required as much now. I don't know what should do that could be extra.

They should offer fixed costs instead of basing it on consumption. There's a huge cost for support.

We've used the solution for two years. It's been a while.

The solution is stable and reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We have four customers as of now in AWS.

Right now, they are developing in India. more regions are coming online as they grow.

Scalability is quite good.

Technical support has been very good. We don't have any complaints. We are satisfied with the level of support on offer.

The installation of AWS is straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. They make it pretty simple.

If you have past experience with deploying AWS, then it shouldn't take more than a week.

We have 15-20 team members that work across different technologies and they can handle deployment. We have a team of just over 20 that can handle maintenance. They are admins.

We can deploy the solution for our clients. We have a team that can manage the process.

The pricing and licensing are good. It's a bit better than, for example, Azure. They have a different model for charging clients.

Technical support costs extra. It could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

We have customers who use the solution.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Vice President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A cloud computing platform that's easy to use, but the price could be better
  • "I like that it's easy to use."
  • "They could lower the cost. The setup could also be easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use AWS for product development, testing, and storage management.

How has it helped my organization?

AWS has improved our organization by driving efficiency in our product development cycles.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

They could lower the cost. The setup could also be easier.

I've been using Amazon AWS for about five years.

AWS is fairly stable. There are always some issues, but not much.

AWS scales fine most of the time. It's just expensive.

We've used Azure, we've used Google Cloud, we've used DigitalOcean, and we used SoftLayer. We're primarily using AWS because 75% or 80% of people use AWS, and we want our product to run optimized on AWS.

The initial setup is relative. It's easier than others, but it could always be easier.

It's expensive. It costs you an arm and a leg. It's just about your expertise to do it on-prem versus in the cloud. I think it's more cost-effective to do it on-prem, but not everybody has a lab or the capital equipment budget to staff a lab. So, they are defaulting to using a service.

That's the trade-off. If you're going to scale, most of the time, people are going to build it in-house. To get development started and to get things moving quickly, the cloud providers offer a valuable service. The biggest charge is for storage, moving data back and forth, and the ingress and egress charges.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that there's a learning curve, but it definitely works.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS a solid seven.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022