IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Allan Kirszberg - PeerSpot reviewer
Coordenador Financeiro at Icatu
Process data quickly, is easy to use and set up and comes with good technical support
  • "I like the solution's velocity, the speed with which it processes data, and its ease of use."
  • "A colleague of mind mentioned that the solution should have more options for the visualization of data."

What is our primary use case?

I believe we are using the new version.  I use the solution for development and certain financial projections, such as making a business plan. I employ the solution for the amalgamation of big data. .I also use the solution for certain analytics deployment, such as that found in the commercial arena, for ascertaining the projections of sales.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution's velocity, the speed with which it processes data, and its ease of use. It has good usability.

What needs improvement?

A colleague of mind mentioned that the solution should have more options for the visualization of data. The visualization filtering could stand improvement.  The documentation could be improved upon.  The price could be better. Though we are satisfied with the solution, we feel the price to be a bit on the expensive side. We make use of another ETL solution, the PowerCenter. We would like to improve on and escalate Alteryx, but find it too expensive at the moment to do so.

I have been using Alteryx within the past 12 months.
Alteryx
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Alteryx. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I believe the solution to be stable.

I believe the solution to be scalable, although I cannot say for certain, owing to the price. It We are not talking about a corporate solution at the moment. While we wish to improve upon and escalate the solution, I believe it is too expensive for us to do so at the present time.  While I cannot speak about the future with certainty, we do have plans to increase the usage. We are satisfied with what we have at present. My area currently consists of four licenses and we would like to improve on this, to have more users. For the moment, we don't have definite plans to buy another license, certainly not in 2022, although, perhaps, in 2023. I sure hope so.

Technical support is good.

We make use of another ETL solution, the PowerCenter. We also make use of Databricks, which we use as a data science platform, although I cannot say how this compares with Alteryx. We use Databricks as a corporate ETL solution from the Data Lake.  We use Microsoft Azure, as well.

The initial setup was easy. The deployment was fast, I believe lasting one day.

We handled the setup on our own.  I don't know how many people are needed for deployment and maintenance.

The price could be better. Though we are satisfied with the solution, we feel the price to be a bit on the expensive side. We make use of another ETL solution, the PowerCenter. We would like to improve on and escalate Alteryx, but find it too expensive at the moment to do so. The licensing costs are around 26,000 reals, perhaps $6,500 a year. The licensing is all inclusive. There are no further costs.

What other advice do I have?

I don't make use of Alteryx myself, although my area, of which I am a manager, does. I am a customer of Alteryx. There are six people making use of the solution in our organization, two from compliance and one a data scientist.  My colleage rates Alteryx as a nine out of ten. She says she loves it.

Solutions Sales and Design at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Data preparation that saves time, is reliable, and has the ability to connect to a variety of sources
  • "The drag-and-drop features are useful for data scientists who do not like to code because it is already in the system."
  • "All of the reports are migrated or exported in an Excel file, and most of the time, a business intelligence tool is required. They could have better reporting. The aesthetic could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Alteryx is typically used for data preparation and blending. I have clients who use it for Special Analytics as well as Churn Analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

Everything was manual and repetitive. With Alteryx, instead of spending three hours preparing the reports, it will only take them two minutes because everything is connected to the database.

What is most valuable?

The drag-and-drop features are useful for data scientists who do not like to code because it is already in the system.

Alteryx has good prep and blend features, as well as the ability to connect to various sources.

What needs improvement?

My understanding is that they will include a visualization feature.

They could have better reporting. The aesthetic could be improved.

We have limitations on the number of fields. It doesn't really get everything if we have to add more columns.

I have been working with Alteryx for four years.

We are working with the latest version.

We're working on both the design and the server version on-premise.

So far Alteryx has been stable.

Alteryx is scalable. If you use the server, you simply add to the specifications based on the size of the data.

I have not contacted Technical Support. I have a team of Alteryx experts, so we don't rely on other support.

We are also working with the Designer Platforms for four years. It includes the Data Science features.

We were working with the most recent version.

I am familiar with many solutions.

The initial setup is fine.

Prebuilt connectors are available, and you may need to create middleware, particularly for SharePoint. Most clients have it in either SharePoint or GoDrive which doesn't have a direct connector, we will have to create another one.

As long as you are connected to the source countryside, the tool itself doesn't require any special maintenance.

I have a lot of business use cases where the ROI is less than a year, and sometimes even in three months.

The designer version has a list price of $5,995 USD. The server version is even more expensive because it is only for collaboration. The designer license is needed to access the servers for collaboration, which in my opinion is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We were an Alteryx partner.

In terms of Alteryx, we resell the solution to our clients. I do have a team that handles the implementation. I specifically look for clients and see if there are any other excuse use cases that we can do with them.

Be aware of it, there are several versions, and there is a free trial that they can use. Once they understand how to do everything you're doing in the system, it's very simple to transfer it to Alteryx.

I would rate Alteryx an eight out of ten.

Alteryx
July 2022
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Logistics improvement Analyst at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Complicated to use for advanced tasks, although good for simple data mining and data extraction
  • "I like the fact that you can easily blend data from different platforms."
  • "Alteryx is just as complicated as coding, in my opinion."

What is our primary use case?

Alteryx is one of our primary tools in our company and we use it mainly for future analytics. We are primarily trying to determine what the past has looked like and then apply predictive analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

I think that our success with this product is mixed. It has probably gotten some people started easily or fairly easily on extracting data. But I also think that to some extent, it puts a limitation on us, because I don't think that we really realized the training that you need in order to be really strong in the product.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that you can easily blend data from different platforms. That is one nice feature.

Additional comment: You can connect multiple input tools to different platforms and use joins/union to either concatenate or blend data in a seamless fashion.

What needs improvement?

Alteryx brands itself as a tool that you can use to avoid having to code. In reality, however, as soon as you start with your task, it gets just a little complex. Alteryx is just as complicated as coding, in my opinion. It is great for relatively simple data mining and data extraction type tasks, and I sure that it can do very advanced things, in particular when you look at the tool installation. That said, as soon as it becomes advanced, it is not very easy to use. In fact, it's quite complicated, so when persons with a coding background attempt to use it, they fall back on trying to code something, instead.

The biggest complaint that I have is that the online help is not very comprehensive. It is very formal, but there are not a lot of examples and use cases, and there are many signs there are difficult to understand. I think that it's a challenge.

In the future, I would like to see improvements made to the machine learning capabilities such that they are comparable with Python.

I have been using Alteryx for three years.

My impression is that it's quite stable. You can easily make small mistakes that have an impact. For example, we use Alteryx gallery and sometimes it seems what when you have a relative path versus an absolute one, it is tricky to keep track of.

I have never spoken with technical support.

This is my first job in analytics where I have used a dedicated tool. Prior to that, I did some work that involved coding.

What other advice do I have?

Although I use this product regularly, I used to code for many years and I am not a big fan of tools like Alteryx. I don't think that it's a good product, and the reason is that when the use cases get more complex, the models get exponentially larger and more complex to put together.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is not to underestimate the need for training, in particular, when your use cases get a little more complex.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Fabio Doro - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Excellent support and robust data features
  • "The feature that I have found most valuable for Alteryx is its geo-referencing feature, it is very good. I use it a lot, especially for supply chain."
  • "There could be a bit of improvement related to performance. Sometimes it demands a lot of resources for running it, like memory and search."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a reseller, so I have plenty of use cases. I don't have my own use cases. I actually solve problems for other customers. We have a few use cases with Alteryx - one for supply chain and one for finance as a whole. There is a very large amount of use cases for finance.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable for Alteryx is its geo-referencing feature, it is very good. I use it a lot, especially for supply chain. For finance, we have data landing which we look at a lot. There are models to help improve matching data and more realistic intuition on the data we have.

It is very easy. It is very straightforward. Sometimes you need a bit of help, but it's more like it fixes itself. So if you are used to handling data, it should be very, very easy.

What needs improvement?

There could be a bit of improvement related to performance. Sometimes it demands a lot of resources for running it, like memory and search. One thing that I would like to see is the ability to get all the versions. Currently we have just the current version and the previous version. Sometimes they have no old workflows. They will run and they are in previous versions but we don't have access to it. It would be helpful to have an opportunity to download, maybe not the first one, but a couple past versions that have been useful.

I have been an Alteryx reseller for four years.

Alteryx is a stable solution.

Alteryx is a scalable solution.

Support is very good. They even go beyond what is expected of the basic support for the product itself. Often we see that they going beyond that and providing solutions for the issues that go beyond the product itself. They try to help customers with the data. So I think it's a really good support and I have had amazing experience with them.

The number of people involved in the initial setup depends on the size of the deployment. It is usually very few compared to other solutions. You don't even need special resources, so anyone can do. Even if it is on a server, anyone that knows it can repair the server, keep it running, and deploy any solutions. I think it's very straightforward, even to deploy larger solutions.

It takes between one and three people to deploy, but they don't need to be technicians,  that's the cool thing.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone considering Alteryx, I would say go for it. Trust that there is a really good set of not just in-company support, but also a lot nice and very decent resellers and partners that can help you do anything you want. Overall, if you are looking for data management, if you need to improve your ability to blend data and to get insights out of data, Alteryx is the way to go.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Alteryx a nine.

Advance Analytics PO at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Nice dashboard and good customizations but can be complex
  • "There are a lot of good customization capabilities."
  • "The solution can be quite complex in some aspects."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all machine learning projects, including perspective molding. We're using it for our marketing efforts.

What is most valuable?

It keeps on upgrading, which is nice. It's always updating with new releases.

A majority of people at our organization like the drag and drop features.

The database is very good.

Overall, the solution as a whole is extremely useful.

The initial setup is easy.

The security on the solution is pretty good.

It has a very nice dashboard.

There are a lot of good customization capabilities.

What needs improvement?

With some of the features in the database, they don't offer certain things, like Keynote or transposing. I'm not sure, if, with the latest update, they've added these capabilities in or not.

The solution can be quite complex in some aspects.

For some specific coders, it's still is a kind of concern that they don't have coding options available. We're moving to Dataiku due to the fact that it caters to both coders and clickers (those who prefer drag and drop).

I'd say I've been working with the solution for two to three years now. I've been using Alteryx for all my data scientist projects.

The solution, for the most part, is pretty stable. We don't seem to have too many issues with it.

The solution can scale to some extent.

We have about 200 to 300 users on the solution currently.

While the community support offered by the solution is great, if you need to directly contact technical support, it's not so good. Often there are long queues and it takes a while to get help.

I've been using Alteryx for all my data scientist projects up until recently. However, now I'm shifting to Dataiku, which my organization is offering instead.

The initial setup is not too complex. It's pretty straightforward. We found it to be rather easy. However, there are certain implementations that can be a little more complex.

We handled the implementation ourselves in-house.

I'm not sure of the exact cost of the solution. It's not an aspect of the product I deal with directly.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Alteryx.

I haven't updated to the latest version yet. I'm unsure which version of the solution I'm currently using.

We are, as an organization, shifting and moving away from the solution. We are now going to utilize a new tool that is being selected. Due to some complexities in Alteryx, we are moving away from it.

Overall, I'd rate it seven out of ten. It has a lot going for it, however, we need a solution that's less complex and offers more coding capabilities.

Senior Data Architect, Total Rewards Analytics and Insights at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Offers very good data transformation with good scheduling and a straightforward setup
  • "The scheduling within the solution is excellent."
  • "It's a technical product and those that don't have proper training will have to deal with a steep learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data processing and ETL.

What is most valuable?

Overall, I'd have to say the tool is pretty awesome.

The solution offers very good data transformation.

Users are able to read in from any source, combine heterogeneous sources, and providing output or input to the next downstream step. You can put these things together or you can create very complex or simple flows and then tie them together.

The scheduling within the solution is excellent.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall a feature that may be lacking. Overall, we've been happy with the solution.

I've been using the solution for over five years now. It's been a while.

The solution is reliable and quite durable. We haven't dealt with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very stable. We're happy with it.

The solution scales quite well. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so easily.

We don't deal with technical support often. We typically have had other people to do that for us within our organization. That said, the support has been there to accommodate us in terms of the different and pretty stiff information security policies and standards. We're mostly satisfied with the level of service.

The initial setup is not complex at all. We found it easy. It was straightforward.

I don't handle the licensing aspect of the product. I can say that we have to have an enterprise license. Currently and periodically that gets challenged and they try to take it away and we honestly have a hard time finding a tool that could replace it. Therefore, we wind up keeping it. It's happened several times.

What other advice do I have?

We're a corporate user and end-user of the product.

While I don't know the version number off the top of my head, I can say with certainty that we are using the latest one.

The solution is going to be best for technical users or people that have hands-on experience with data such as data scientists or people that can be creative and deal with multiple different databases and different permutations in the structured query language right across those different databases.

It's fairly standard, however, not completely, and so, people in that realm tend to be able to function well, people that are analysts may struggle and have a bit of a learning curve that they have to deal with. I've been doing this throughout the information life cycle - about 35 years plus. Therefore, for me, it's my second nature. Others that haven't been exposed to technology over that timeframe may struggle.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Kevin Anderson - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Strategic Sourcing ManagerSenior Strategic Sourcing Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
  • "Alteryx has helped us spend more time identifying results instead of performing analysis manually. It has helped us in our loading process, including scrubbing data and identifying data elements that need to be corrected. It enables us to understand our data sets a lot better."
  • "There are a few hiccups with specific data sets and languages or formats that the data comes in. That may be a minor problem, but we can work through it. We had some issues looking at XML format in added data, but it wasn't significant."

How has it helped my organization?

Alteryx has helped us spend more time identifying results instead of performing analysis manually. It has helped us in our loading process, including scrubbing data and identifying data elements that need to be corrected. It enables us to understand our data sets a lot better.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Alteryx has been Designer. That has been beneficial because we load our data tables for Tableau. We use Alteryx to load the data into a database from various different data sources to come up with dashboards our business can work with.

We've been working with the products a bit over two years now.

The stability is good. There are a few hiccups with specific data sets and languages or formats that the data comes in. That may be a minor problem, but we can work through it. We had some issues looking at XML format in added data, but it wasn't significant.

I don't think we've reached the limits of Alteryx yet. Our strategy is to push the envelope to see how far we can go, especially in terms of our advanced data analytics and using Alteryx to look for other types of anomalies or issues with our data.

We have around 20-plus active users doing transactional data analysis. We will likely increase the usage depending upon the use case and expansion of our global data sources.

Most of the technical support we have used thus far has been internal.

The setup was pretty straightforward. We have a group that handles deployments within our company, and we get our license. They have Alteryx servers set up. I'm just in charge of the users with licenses. We had an implementation strategy that was completed in a few weeks.

The setup was performed by an in-house team.

I can't speak about the specifics of our licensing. Our operating costs are all shared and allocated. That helps keep the cost down.

We evaluated other options, but the decision was made by our corporate leaders, and I can't recall what the alternatives were.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Alteryx nine out of 10. I might be biased because of what I'm achieving with it. I don't think we've reached the extent of our usage. I want to increase the data analytics with it. My advice to prospective Alteryx users is to have a good plan. Run through some tests in scenarios where you think it might provide you with a good solution.

Hybrid Cloud
Sastry Tumuluri - PeerSpot reviewer
Executive at Suyati Technologies
Stable with no-code analytics capability, but needs Linux support, better pricing, and better response from their US partner management program team
  • "The philosophy of the citizen data scientist is the key piece, which means the no-code analytics capability. This is the feature that attracted us the most."
  • "It should have Linux support. It currently supports only Windows. It does not support any other platform. Its price should also be lower. Their US partner management program is actually unresponsive. One of the reasons why we don't have a formalized partnership plan with them is because their partner management team is atrociously unresponsive. This is something that they need to change."

What is our primary use case?

We have several Alteryx certified analysts on our team, and we serve customers who want Alteryx. We don't use it in our company.

What is most valuable?

The philosophy of the citizen data scientist is the key piece, which means the no-code analytics capability. This is the feature that attracted us the most.

What needs improvement?

It should have Linux support. It currently supports only Windows. It does not support any other platform. Its price should also be lower.

Their US partner management program is actually unresponsive. One of the reasons why we don't have a formalized partnership plan with them is because their partner management team is atrociously unresponsive. This is something that they need to change.

I have been using this solution for a little over a year.

It is stable.

We are currently using it in environments with fairly low operational needs. For our clients, it is more of an analytics workflow rather than a production workflow. The scalability requirement has not really come up for us in practice.

We have worked with RapidMiner in the past. I am also familiar with a few other solutions that came to me. We are also exploring a partnership with DataRobot. There are a lot of overlaps between products. We have also used a few analytics products.

Its price should be lower. The key thing that we see is that talking about ROI is an important element at the time of purchase. Cost becomes a factor in every discussion. Justifying the ROI for these kinds of workflows is always a challenge, and the only way to counter the challenge is by addressing the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

If a customer already has a data engineering and analytics team, I would lean towards RapidMiner and DataRobot, depending on the specific need of the customer. If they want more AI, I would recommend DataRobot. If they want more analytics and data, I would go with RapidMiner. If they don't have a data engineering and analytics team and they're starting something afresh, or if they have a capacity issue with the analytics team, then I would recommend Alteryx. Alteryx works out pretty okay if they don't have a sufficient number of qualified data and analytics people because it goes with the philosophy of citizen data scientists.

I would rate Alteryx a seven out of ten.

Download our free Alteryx Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022