Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Alfabet IT Planning & Portfolio Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Project Portfolio Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Alfabet IT Planning & Portfolio Management?

Software AG's Alfabet IT Planning & Portfolio Management Platform provides decision-makers with insight into the IT portfolio to make the right IT investment decisions and to plan how IT will support the business in the future.

Alfabet IT Planning & Portfolio Management was previously known as planningIT, alfabet planningIT, Alfabet IT Planning and Portfolio Management.

Alfabet IT Planning & Portfolio Management Customers

FUJITSU, Coca Cola, ING, CreditSuisse, CosmosDirekt, GTA, Echo Entertainment Group, Electrolux, Cern

Alfabet IT Planning & Portfolio Management Video

Archived Alfabet IT Planning & Portfolio Management Reviews (more than two years old)

enterprise architect, IT architect, freelancer at Dr. Nink IT Consulting
Very sophisticated meta model, but XMI export / import would ease project work.

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise architecture management typically starting with application landscape. The landscape is then enhanced by information flows and mapping to business as well as technology artifacts. For business catalogues of business domains, business objects, and business functions are most often seen. For technology catalogues of 3rd party software artifacts and deployment stacks are typical. Last but not least, all involved managers love associated people in various roles and immediately start forming official roles like application manager, operations manager, and so on.

How has it helped my organization?

• Each project benefits from the already edited as-is architecture information (e.g. when scoping.
  • Each project benefits from a centrally available architecture vision (target architecture).
  • Each new employee or external consultant benefits from as-is architecture information including responsibles for applications and components.

What is most valuable?

• ERP approach to IT (edit architecture elements as data using forms, easier for many people compared to drawing / modeling)
  • Hundreds of predefined reports (not only for analysis but also for displaying profiles for single elements like an application including dynamically generated diagrams based on edited data)
  • Very sophisticated meta model (dozens of man years of experience condensed in it)
  • Enterprise collaboration features
  • Web client for the enterprise, either on-site installation or running in a private cloud.

What needs improvement?

Only few predefined integrations with other tools exist, most integrations are implemented via an integration module based on XML typically needing vendor expertise.

It would drastically ease and improve EA and project work if there were an XMI export / import such that information could be exchanged between planningIT and UML tools with a few clicks.

Project Portfolio Management
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Software AG, Planview, ServiceNow and others in Project Portfolio Management. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

More than five years.

No.Only aspect to worry about is the decision if you not only store links to documents as attachments but all documents themselves (then a good guess of DB size is needed).

Very good in the past when product belonged to alfabet AG, can't tell for Software AG by now.

Switched due to an evaluation.

Complex, lots of manual configuration, partly due to our choice of using Oracle Server instead of Microsoft SQL Server which is the default choice with planningIT.

In-house team supported by vendor.

Calculated over five years, project savings / investment= 5

In addition to have a short list of providers that you may challenge you should discuss two provider models and their follow-up costs during the lifetime: inhouse and cloud.

Inhouse means running the software and storing your EAM data in your own data center, more analysis options (direct database access), more integration options (ETL out and in your database), more configuration options (when also buying the Expand tool) - this comes with an invest in building up know-how.

Cloud means more options in outsourcing of build, run, and process - this comes with a higher vendor lock-in.

Yes, planningIT vs ARIS vs consulting solution vs do it yourself.

What other advice do I have?

It might pay off to build up know-how on planningIT with an internal team.

If possible buy the Expand module as well which allows you to configure the product by yourself (training needed).
Do not start to big in terms of functionality, focus on a core, always start with establishing a good process for creating and keeping as-is architecture up to date.

Project Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
I would recommend trying planningIT

Valuable Features

Application Portfolio Management, Project Portfolio Management, Capability management

Use of Solution

1.5 years

Not really

None

Good

Very good

Implementation Team

Vendor team, I would rate them highly

Other Advice

I would recommend trying planningIT

Project Portfolio Management
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user150285 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager - Strategic Technology at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Its a fine product, but only after you're used to it.

What is most valuable?

I liked the ability to auto calculate RTO has between applications.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a manual process to study application dependencies, reconciling changes, recovery gaps etc. The tool helped us automate all of it.

What needs improvement?

The tool is clearly not very intuitive. I had to train almost 500 application managers on it, and this was a common issue raised by most.

3 years. My personal experience with the product was good, primarily because of the support team's responsiveness.

Training related, as mentioned previously.

None.

None.

Customer Service: 10/10Technical Support: 10/10

We were using excel and SharePoint. Not much of a 'solution'.

In-house

What other advice do I have?

Its a fine product, but only after you're used to it.