Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Akamai Prolexic Routed OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Akamai Prolexic Routed?

Prolexic Routed provides organizations with a simple and effective way to protect all web- and IP-based applications in their data center from the threat of DDoS attacks. Offered as a flexible and comprehensive service, Prolexic Routed stops DDoS attacks in the cloud, well before they reach the data center. It provides comprehensive protection against the broadest range of DDoS attack types and defends against today’s high-bandwidth, sustained web attacks, as well as the increasing threat of potentially crippling DDoS attacks that target specific applications and services.

Akamai Prolexic Routed Customers

Fidor Bank

Akamai Prolexic Routed Video

Archived Akamai Prolexic Routed Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior Network & Security administrator at a hospitality company with 201-500 employees
Eliminated DDOS attacks, provides excellent mitigation service

What is our primary use case?

Always-on DDOS protection/mitigation.

We suffered from DDOS attacks and needed a fast mitigation solution. We selected Prolexic routed through GRE tunnels to two different scrubbing centers. This was possible since we own our IPv4 blocks and have our own AS number from RIPE.

How has it helped my organization?

We have suffered from DDOS attacks but that has stopped since we implemented this solution. The only downtime we have now is from our own applications/releases.

What is most valuable?

The support from Akamai is great, and they provide excellent information and mitigation services. The service is very expensive but you get what you pay for. We have not had any issues since we implemented this. They call and say, "You are under attack," and we do not notice.

What needs improvement?

The web portal for checking status and traffic needs improvements. For example, it's not possible to change the time zone, so all graphs display the wrong time.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Cloudflare, NETSCOUT and others in Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Three to five years.

There are maintenance on scrubbing centers now and then, but we have never had any traffic outage. E-mail alerts always come in advance and so far no issues.

This was our first provider. We did not have time to to evaluate competitors since we was under attack.

After the 3 year period, we canceled the expensive contract with Akamai and tested F5 Silverline. Since we use F5 Load Balancers and ASM we thought it would be a good idea to utilize the communication between our in-house ASM and Silverline cloud. However, we could not get a clear picture for the pricing and what services we could get. We had to go through re-sellers in 2 extra layers. We got tired about getting different prices about unclear services and offers so we went back to Akamai. We managed to get the pricing down by almost 50%. We could deal directly with Akamai and no confused re-sellers was involved.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it eight out of 10. It would get a nine if the web portal was better and 10 if the price was lower. We have been using it for three years. We canceled the contract recently and are looking into using another vendor to reduce the price by two-thirds.

it_user692307 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Team Lead, ASYCUDA World Implementation Team
Zero configuration is needed for DDoS mitigation and content delivery.

What is most valuable?

Prolexic PLXRoute allows businesses to have on-demand DDoS protection. There is no need to call Prolexic SOC requesting DDoS mitigation to be deactivated because of legitimate traffic being scrubbed.

PLXRoute – 8: The PLXRoute

• Gives businesses control of their traffic path, minimizing the amount of interaction businesses must have with Prolexic Technical Team.
  • Once initially configured and operational, zero configuration is needed for DDoS mitigation and content delivery.
  • DDoS NetOps can be automated.

PLXProxy – 6

• Geared towards businesses of all sizes with very little technical staff.
  • Easily configured and manage by staff with knowledge of web hosting

How has it helped my organization?

With Prolexic PLXRoute solution, we were able to transition from a Prolexic managed DDoS mitigation infrastructure to a business managed solution. At first, we were using Prolexic PLXProxy solution during times of high traffic. We would experience latency that was unacceptable for adequately servicing our customers on our real-time betting platform. With Prolexic PLXRoute we can bypass Prolexic scrubbing centers on demand.

What needs improvement?

The reports need to be improved.

PLXRoute – 8: The PLXRoute

• Requires good technical staff to configure, manage and monitor the PLXRoute infrastructure.
  • PLXRoute configuration on the business side can be configured by Prolexic Technical Team at a cost.
  • Poor reporting. The reports provided doesn’t give detailed information about DDoS mitigations, bandwidth utilization, etc.
  • Can be difficult to manage if technical personnel are not available on staff.

PLXProxy – 6

• Any changes to service offerings (website URL, web security) will require Prolexic to make change to their Proxy servers
  • Poor reporting. The reports provided don’t give detailed information about DDoS mitigations, bandwidth utilization, etc.
  • Security certificates must be shared with Prolexic to be configured on their proxy servers.

I had used Prolexic Proxy Solution (PLXProxy) for a period of about eight years and Prolexic Routed On-Demand (PLXRoute) for about three years.

We haven’t had stability problems. PLXRoute and PLXProxy are very stable products.

Prolexic technical support is second to none. If you are a networking professional with a solid skills set, the technical team at Prolexic will be glad to work with you so that knowledge can be exchanged. They will also build a close technical relationship with you, giving you ideas and solutions for your datacenter(s).

We didn’t have a previous solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Once negotiations about licensing and contact are complete, you will receive detailed documentation. If you are a highly skilled networking professional but are lacking confidence in performing the necessary configuration, Prolexic technical staff will extend their support to assist in configuring your infrastructure.

Prolexic has been our choice from day one.

What other advice do I have?

Any business looking to implement any of the solutions that Prolexic offers will need to exercise due diligence. Working with Prolexic can become costly. Prolexic licensing and contracts take into account bandwidth, level of technical support required, eBDP Peers (for PLXRoute), and number of websites (for PLXProxy). If a business doesn't understand what they are offering and what is required to protect it, then they may over or under subscribe to Prolexic services.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user674349 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Program Manager -Security at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Dropping the initial necessary investment for the on-premises DDoS detection and mitigation is the most valuable feature of this solution.

What is most valuable?

Since they're basically a DDoS protection service, dropping the initial necessary investment for the on-premises DDoS detection and mitigation is the most valuable feature of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

They've scrubbed DDoS traffic that was blasting us offline, thus allowing legitimate traffic through and letting our service return online.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any particular suggestions here, it does what it's supposed to do. It's expensive, though.

Not sure for how long the company has used it, I have used it for about a year but it existed for a few years before that.

There were no stability issues.

The technical support team is great! They have dedicated SOC teams ready in minutes for emergencies.

We were not using any other solution. Currently, we are researching about additional on-prem solutions.

The initial setup requires networking knowledge, as GRE tunnels and BGP sessions must be set up, along with routing decisions. In addition, the TCP MSS need to be adjusted for allowing the GRE tunnel overhead. For example, the setting of the TCP MSS higher than 1500, such as to 1600, so as to allow for the GRE header overhead.

Consider how this solution fits into a comprehensive DDsS defense strategy, don't just outsource responsibility to them. Walk, don't fall in.

If internal procedures suck and the emergency responders fall over each other in detection/verification during an incident, Prolexic can only help so much. Have a way to move towards the automated signaling mechanisms that invoke DDoS mitigation route on to their network faster than a human can.

Download our free Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Report and find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Cloudflare, NETSCOUT, and more!
Updated: September 2022