Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Actifio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Actifio is #3 ranked solution in top Test Data Management tools and #39 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Actifio an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Actifio is most commonly compared to Delphix: Actifio vs Delphix. Actifio is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Actifio?
Actifio is the world’s leading Enterprise Data-as-a-Service (EDaaS) platform. It enables thousands of users around the world to deliver their data just as they deliver their applications and infrastructure… as a service available instantly, anywhere. An enterprise-class software platform powered by patented Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology, Actifio frees data from traditional infrastructure to accelerate adoption of hybrid cloud, build higher quality applications faster, and improve business resiliency and availability. For more, visit Actifio.com or follow us on Twitter @Actifio.
Actifio Customers
IBM, Waste Industries, Nasdaq, Verizon, Sharp, Rosetta Stone, Dakine, JBS Australia, Texas Wesleyan University, Cintra, People's Choice Credit Union, Lotto NZ, Electric Insurance, Tyler Technologies, Intility, Corporate One Federal Credit Union, Bryant University, pc/nametag, Isagenix, Sungard Availability Services, Databank, Electrocraft, Lifescript, Westfleisch, Interstate National Corporation, RestorePoint, Net3, Access Community Health Network, Newmarket International, Rezolve Group Inc., Piri Reis University, MC Assembly, Grass-Merkur, dbMotion, Christian Broadcasting Network, Bezeq, Abilene Christian University, CNW Group, Softcat, Migliori, City of South Portland, NaviSite, News-Press & Gazette, Comtec, Equity Insurance, Admirals Bank, Assistra, Dassault, Henry Davis York Lawyers, SAI Global, Audax Group, DSM, Triad Retail Media, Euronet Worldwide, Palm Beach County School District, iGate, Emerald Queen Casino
Actifio Video

Actifio Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Actifio pricing:
  • "Pricing is on a case by case basis."
  • "Support is very good. They send out a VM link and help you fix any issues."
  • Actifio Reviews

TarangDaptardar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Regional Director at value data
    Reseller
    Advanced data management, backup and recovery with unique solutions that lead in the field
    • "This product has unique capabilities that lead the product category in test data management, cloning and recovery."
    • "While the product does support various databases, the company needs to make more of an effort to support N-minus-one compatibility."

What is our primary use case?

There are many use cases for Actifio. It is most popular for the test data management feature in the solution, and the capabilities for instant backup and recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very important for any organization to be able to complete their development cycle very quickly. This product helps us to get a proper output for our projects. We have to be able to do their data provisioning for development. Usually, this can take a lot of time in waiting for approvals and time for the DBAs to provision the data. That data, when provisioned, will not really be point-in-time and not really instantaneous.

Because of the Gold Copy concept, Actifio creates a situation where it is easy to provision data via test data management, and I can provision data for various test developers. I do not need an additional license for adding additional users because they have this concept of unified copies. I can provision and mark those users. I save a lot of space because if I have a 20 Gig database and I want to provision to 20 users, I would need to make 20 copies of it on the appliance. In this case, using Actifio, I can just provision only one copy and then work with the Golden Copy concept so developers can work on their own individual copy of the data. It is a virtual copy and that offers a lot of advantages to the DevOps teams.

Similarly, for analytics, nobody runs analytics on real-time data on the production environment. So let us say a CEO wants data from yesterday night. You can actually take a copy of that data from that time and run analytics on the data. It is very close to getting real-time analytics. This kind of solution is something that our customers appreciate. The feature Actifio has using test data management and copy management helps the clients work to achieve their requirements and virtually process up-to-the-minute data.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is the most valuable is the Golden Copy feature. It is an incremental backup forever and you can restore from any point in time. The restores are also very fast. I also like the database policing. It is good for use with test and development environments.

What needs improvement?

There are quite a few ways the product can be improved, actually. In terms of recovery the solution is very good, but still can be better. Specifically, they can improve in the area of ease of recovery and improve the speed. Also, the kind of platforms they support should be enhanced. Like now, they have recently started supporting SAP S/4HANA, SAP MaxDB, and SAP MongoDB. This is good, but there are more platforms that can be supported. Obviously this will take time before the platform support for more products appears in the solution. But I think this is one important addition that they need to make.

Backup and Recovery Software
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Google, Rubrik, Veeam Software and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: September 2022.
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using this solution for a little more than a year.

It is very stable. The support services are also very good. They have a support center in India, and I think that will help us and our clients to continue to get very good support within our time zone.

Actifio is scalable. It can actually be scaled in Petabytes. So that again is a very, very good option from a scalability point of view. The solution also has support for numerous storage technologies like object storage. It is really getting better over time.

Mostly our customers are enterprise customers who have a lot of need to use realtime data for test data management. It only takes about an hour to get the test data. One of our customers is the leading stock exchange in India. You are not going to stop services to collect test data in that situation, and the number of people that need data on the stock exchange is pretty broad. They need this to make predictions and to select the best investments. Actifio is also being used at one of the leading banks for DevOps purposes. It is used by one of the leading pharmaceutical companies which is into pharmaceuticals and life sciences. We have quite a nice assortment of customers spanning across various industries using Actifio and most of them are enterprise organizations.

I am an ex-IBM employee and I have been working with IBM products for a long, long time. So we have been selling IBM Tivoli Storage Manager in the past, which is now Spectrum Protect. Also, I was selling Veeam in the past. I have a lot of experience with these competing products.

The main difference between Actifio and other solutions that I had experience with is that legacy solutions are very different than the new breed of solutions. Actifio has actually kind of reshaped the backup methodologies. They have a new concept and add a new dimension to the way that data centers were being backed up in the past. They are different if you compare the product to the likes of ScrumWorks or Tivoli or even Veritas for that matter. They have improved things a lot and they have forced others to change. Many of the other products are still backing up to tapes. Actifio does a straight back up to a disk or back up to the cloud. So, that is a big change and a big advantage.

I found that the initial setup was very, very easy. In fact, the infrastructure support was also very, very flexible as Actifio supports almost any kind of infrastructure. It is essentially agnostic to any type of hardware. We can provision it on a virtual machine — it comes as a virtual machine in fact. Because of that, it is easy to deploy on any VMware or any virtual platform.

My team has deployed the real-time solutions for customers with Actifio in as short a time as one or two days.

What other advice do I have?

The way Actifio is shaping up is really good, especially in the way they are opening new avenues for data management — like in terms of test data management, database cloning, and the capability of duplicating databases instantly. Also, it is one of the only solutions which is used by SAP for their own S/4HANA test data management. This one product enables a lot of very good solutions for backup of SAP S/4HANA either on to my systems and appliance or on the cloud. There are these advantages and quite a few other advantages this solution encompasses.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as around eight-of-ten. To make it more like a ten or at least nine, they have to take care of some of the possibilities for expanding the capabilities of the product even further. They need more coverage for newer platforms and any of the new databases coming out. For example, MongoDB is getting very popular and needs better support within Actifio. Support for the current versions of databases is good but maybe some backward compatibility and N-minus-one compatibility would be good because not many customers are always current and on the bleeding edge. We had an incident, in fact, where a customer wanted to use Actifio very much, but part of their deployment was on a current version of their database and another part of it was on an older version that was just not supported. So if they would make the effort to support the current versions and maybe N-minus-one that would be great to help bring in legacy players on so they can also use Actifio.

Hybrid Cloud
    Presales (Enterprise Solutions Architect) at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Rapid recovery with a simplified user interface, and it can be deployed as an appliance
    • "They will assist me in achieving whatever budget issue the client may be having."
    • "Areas that need improvement would be the support for recovery in the physical environment."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for backups and for testing the environment. The backup can be used for your test environment.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features are that you can use the backup for a test environment, with the rapid recovery done using just a few clicks.

Also, it has a very simplified user interface.

You can deploy it as an appliance without necessarily having to purchase the operating system licenses and the support that you get when you are selling to a client who has budget restrictions. They will assist me in achieving whatever budget issue the client may be having.

What needs improvement?

Areas that need improvement would be the support for recovery in the physical environment. This includes a bare-metal restore, backing up a physical server, and then restoring the same on a physical server. Currently, it has to be on a virtual server.

In the next release, I would like to see bare-metal restore and a version that is comparable to solutions such as Acronis, where they have less but similar features at a lower cost.

I have been using Actifio for almost four years.

This solution is stable and we have not experienced any issues.

This is a scalable solution.

The initial setup is not complex and I find it to be quite easy.

Normally, we do the proof of concept first and then use the same setup that was done using that, for the production environment.

Pricing is on a case by case basis. They really help us to achieve the customer's needs.

They really support us on pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Our customers are either fully on-premises or fully on the cloud, none are hybrid at the moment.

It's an enterprise solution for large companies. For smaller companies, we recommend other solutions that would be equivalent but can be implemented with a lower budget.

When I speak of backup solutions there are only two that I have in mind. The first is Actifio for enterprise customers who have a good budget, and the second is Acronis, which is for customers who have a lower budget and don't necessarily need all of the features.

I don't have a lot of knowledge on solutions such as Commvault, Veritas, or Dell EMC. I need to have a full understanding of the product before I can recommend it.

Hybrid Cloud
    Backup and Recovery Software
    September 2022
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mark Torpy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Protection Specialist at Tech Mahindra Limited
    The Reporting Is Very Good . It Covers Everything
      • "The solution doesn't support AIX software or in-cloud, and we have a lot of servers running on AIX and Oracle."

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is most valuable. The user interface is easy to manage. It is in the GCP cloud, so it's got cloud workflows.

The reporting is very good. It gives a good idea about setup and everything related to backups,  whether it's capacity, planning, pure success, or backup health – everything is covered.

What needs improvement?

We'd like to see more stats and details on what's happening in running jobs. We don't get much feedback from the client or the logging. Clients can go into their logging directories to find out what's happening. However, we have to access the log activity itself to see if any progress has been made and if it's been completed.

If a job doesn't finish, we need to know what the errors were to get a high-level idea of the challenges. When we're troubleshooting, we go to the connected log. Then Actifio support also looks in the log and uploads some of what it sees to their ticket and then resolves the issue.

Another issue is the solution doesn't support AIX software or in the cloud, and we have a lot of servers running on AIX and Oracle.

We've been using the solution for about four months.

The solution has been very stable so far.

There's no problem with scalability. As the product is on the cloud, its scalability is virtually unlimited.

Support is very good. If you have any problems, you can reach out or take their support, and they send out a VM link and help you fix any issues.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The Google team with their PO and my implementation team implemented and deployed the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10 for service and support.

Google
      Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Google, Rubrik, Veeam Software, and more!
      Updated: September 2022